C9pnIoMWAAE2Dpn.jpeg

Shooting at Maria's Liquor and Fine Wine, investigation still ongoing

A shooting occurred at Maria's Liquor Store at the corners of Grove St. and Rawsonville Rd. The Suspects are still at large with the victim now out of surgery and recovering.

A shooting occurred outside of Maria’s Liquor and Fine Wine (3344 S Grove St) at the corners of Grove St. and Rawsonville Road in Ypsilanti Charter Township. The shooting took-place around 2:20 p.m. Sunday, April 26. 

A Washtenaw County resident was in their vehicle at a red light and witnessed the shooting occur. After hearing gunshots, they looked out from their vehicle to see a young man shot in the chest. The witness has requested their name not be included in the article due to concern’s for their own safety.

Three shots were fired from a handgun, however the witness initially claimed the firearm to be an AR-style. The shots hit the victim, a young African-American man. The shots came from what the witness believes was a white Lincoln MKZ sedan.

Following the shooting the witness followed the suspect's vehicle on Rawsonville Road; as he did so he dialed 911.

Emergency services arrived to the scene of the incident roughly 10 minutes after the shots were fired. The suspects vehicle eventually sped off onto I-94 eastbound towards Belleville. The witness believes that police may have lost track of the suspect's vehicle while they were in pursuit.

The witness was able to record a video of the police’s pursuit of the suspect's vehicle. In the video police cars are seen with their lights flashing as they chased the vehicle. At the end of the video they are heard saying, “The cops are losing them,” as he talks to the camera. Shortly later the video ends.

The witness went back to the site of the shooting to give a police report. As he did so he overheard the police saying that there was a possible second vehicle involved. This vehicle is believed to be a black Ford Edge. The second vehicle was driving around the liquor store as well as the Speedway gas station in the same area at the time of the shooting.

The witness followed the suspects vehicle to American Presidential Estates mobile home park off of Rawsonville Road in Belleville. The witness waited in their vehicle outside of the park for roughly 4 minutes until the suspects car reappeared. It is possible that someone may have been dropped off at the mobile home park by the suspect.

In addition to the witnesses video, there is likely security camera footage of the shooting.

The victim is believed to be out of surgery and is recovering. 

No arrests have been made, however a police investigation is on-going. Further information regarding the incident will be updated when more details are made available.

Anyone with more information regarding this shooting should call the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s confidential tip line at 734-973-7711.