kehlani.jpg.jpg

Kehlani exhibits major growth and talent on new album 'It Was Good Until It Wasn't'

The emotional intelligence and newfound sense-of-self brings great substance to this singer's new project.

Listening to this artist’s new album will without a doubt “Change Your Life,” for the better. R&B songstress Kehlani has released her newest LP this past Friday, May 8th, titled It Was Good Until It Wasn’t. In this case however, it is, and always will be, good. 

All 15 tracks on the project discuss love in all of its different forms, while yes a common theme, something that is unique to everyone in experience. 

Prior to the project’s release, three singles were debuted including “Toxic,” “Everybody Business,” and “F&MU,” all of which were paired with ‘Quarantine Style’ music videos, and demonstrated great potential for the album. 

After listening to the entire work of art, I was definitely not disappointed. Kehlani presented major growth and greater versatility than her previous work. 

Not only is there more variety because of just Kehlani herself, but she includes multiple amazing artists on some songs as well such as Tory Lanez, Jhene Aiko, Lucky Daye, and James Blake. 

Kehlani shows her sexual side on “F&MU,” as well as “Can I,” which features Tory Lanez. The pairing of these two soulful singers is perfect for this sensual track.

“Water,” is another steamy tune that discusses all three water zodiac signs. “Swimming with a Pisces every night / Ain’t really that deep, but he deep inside / Head like a Scorpio / Shy like a Cancer.” If you are into astrology like me, you will definitely find joy in this song. The only thing that could make it better would be lengthening it. 

While these upbeat hot-and-bothered songs are some of my favorites on the album, the slower and more emotional tracks are great too. “Change Your Life,” which features Jhene Aiko, talks about trying to change someone’s ways and believing that you can change their life if they are with you. While this is far from the truth, it is a difficult situation that many people can relate to. 

“Grieving,” with James Blake is even more emotional and his voice suits the theme of the tune perfectly. The song talks about needing time to grieve a past relationship that you fought super hard for. 

Every track shows a different aspect of not only Kehlani’s sound, but her personality as well. 

“Serial Lover,” and “Open (Passionate)” are probably my personal favorites on the album, and both talk about being addicted to making connections with people, even to the point where it may be unhealthy. 

Kehlani has also always been open about her fluid sexuality and the lyrics from both of these tracks fully express it. 

Apart from just songs, Kehlani also includes two “skits” on the album: “Real Hot Girl Skit,” and “Belong To The Streets Skit.” The first is a clip of famous female rapper Megan the Stallion embodying her skills, and the second serves as an intro for “Everybody Business,” which is shown as a scene in it’s paired music video.

The final track on the album is “Lexii’s Outro,” a short sing by Lexii Alijai, a Minnesota-based rapper who unfortunately passed away on New Years Day. As her and Kehlani were extremely close, the album’s end is dedicated to Lexii. 

Considering the relatability, individualism, and growth displayed, I believe this is Kehlani’s best album. All of the singles represented the entirety of the project immensely and I could listen to the whole LP without skipping even one track. Kehlani has been nominated for multiple Grammy’s in the past and IWGUIW became her first #1 on ITunes super fast, so I am sure this work will win the singer not just one, but many awards.

While there is always room for improvement and experimentation with new sounds and themes, It Was Good Until It Wasn’t is without question a work of art. If you haven’t listened to much of Kehlani already, be sure to check out this new project as soon as possible.

I would give this album 4.5 out of 5 Swoops.