disclosure-syd-kehlani-birthday-2020.jpg

Review: Disclosure teams up with Syd and Kehlani for masterpiece track 'Birthday'

From the sound, to the words, to the visuals, this song is a true work of art that shines with wide-ranging talent.

From Disclosure’s newly released album titled Energy, comes a masterpiece of a song and video. “Birthday,” features two iconic queer female R&B artists, Syd from The Internet and Kehlani. The track brings perfect sound and makes for a great collaboration all-around.

The video starts by zooming in on a small toy-like town, finally stopping at one home, which is filled with Syd in giant form, surrounded by small toys and treasures. The Alice In Wonderland feel, along with the old and vintage scenery, brings more substance and uniqueness to the entire work of art. 

The song begins with Syd’s beautifully warm vocals missing and reminiscing about an “old flame.” While usually the past lover would want Syd to stay away, she feels her special day may make her feel differently. 

“Can I call you on your birthday? / Just to make sure that you’re okay / Would you prefer it if I go ghost? / And let you go your own way.” 

At the end of Syd singing the first chorus, she writes “Kehlani’s Bday,” in on her calendar. 

“I ain't even callin' for no reconciliation / I just want to tap in and see how you been / I've waited for an adequate amount of time / To give us both some space,” Kehlani sings.

In another room, most likely in a different house, Kehlani is shown as a giant in her tiny place as well. 

The singer jumps in on verse two with her usual higher energy, yet smooth flow, seeming to be Syd’s ex-girlfriend, unknowingly thinking about her past love just the same. 

“I think it's been good for us to stay up out of the way / But it can't hurt to check up on an ex, not to flex / But to put the hurt to rest, put maturity to the test / So I'm callin' to say "Are you okay?" on your special day.”

At the end of her verse, Kehlani writes “Syd’s Bday,” on her calendar too, coinciding with the previously matching scene.

Towards the end of the video, the camera moves in on a pitch-black door, leading to both the musicians in doll-like form, perfectly fitting in the doll-like house. They walk into a dessert-filled wonderland together and sit on a couch made of cake, ride the previously shown toy-airplane, and get close again. 

But, as they are about to kiss, their heads spin and go up in flames, showing that rekindling past sparks may be fun, but may not always be wise. 

Not only is this song amazing both lyrically and sonically, but the visuals are unlike no other as well. The talent from Disclosure’s unique production style mixed with the beautiful voices of two wonderful women brings good vibes and feels for any mood. 

If you have yet to check out these artist’s newest release, and Disclosure’s new Energy LP, there is no better time than now.

I give this release 4.5 out of 5 Swoops.