20200902_190052.jpg

Opinion: Los Amigos Fiesta is a must for students and community members alike

Los Amigos Fiesta is located at 4855 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor. Check it out, and enjoy affordable food that tastes great.

After being greeted at the front desk by two masked smiles, I was promptly seated in a nice booth with wooden dividers above the seats. The dividers were there to promote social distancing.

Within seconds of being seated, I was given complimentary chips and salsa. The salsa is house-made and tastes different every time I visit Los Amigos. The chips are always warm and toasty. My drink only took two minutes to arrive, and I set out to decide what I would have for dinner.

The menu is quite extensive, so it took a few minutes to look over the many delicious choices. You can scan a QR code, or request a paper copy. After your order is placed, there’s a lot to look at while you wait. Huge flat screens play sports and wrestling. Artwork adorns every table and is strewn about on dark yellow toned walls. The floors are wooden and the lights are low. Lively Hispanic music plays proudly in the background, encouraging one to grab a date and dance within the wide open floor-plan.

I'm here on a Wednesday, but on a Tuesday things are much more lively. After all, it is Taco Tuesday. On such day, hard tacos are $1.50, soft tacos $2.00 and grilled ones $2.50. You have a choice of chicken, beef or vegetarian. This is certainly ideal for a college student on a budget.

The steak chimichangas that I ordered came promptly and were smothered with melted cheese on top. They ended up coming with guacamole salad, rice and beans. My date ordered the vegetarian fajita. The vegetables came on a steaming hot skillet that you could smell a mile away. Flour tortillas come on the side so that one can craft their own fajita tacos. The meal was satisfying and went down quickly. I never leave with a box when I go to Los Amigos.

For dessert I had churros and ice cream. The churros were warm and covered in cinnamon and sugar. Vanilla ice cream complimented the churros in a perfect way. It was a great ending to an amazing meal.

One thing that I would like to point out about Los Amigos is that their COVID-19 reaction is impeccable. Throughout the entire restaurant are signs reminding you to wear your mask and wash your hands. Every staff member had a mask on the entire time I was there. The seating arrangement was spaced out and only one person was allowed in the bathroom at a time. I felt safe within their establishment. They also have outdoor seating available to allow for even more social distancing.

Centrally located between Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor, I feel like Los Amigos has made a name for their selves as a staple in the local food scene. Aside from great pricing on Taco Tuesdays, they also have $5.99 lunch specials on weekdays. The portions are more than generous. I would recommend Los Amigos to not only the college student on a budget, but to anyone that enjoys high quality Mexican cuisine at a fair price. The address is 4855 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor.