Corner Brewery

Opinion: Corner Brewery serves up a good time

Enjoy cold beverages, lunch, and a good time at the Corner Brewery.

I arrive at the Corner Brewery right around noon. It's a Friday. The tables are spaced out to promote social distancing and 90's grunge is playing in the background, setting the perfect ambience for a afternoon brew. I order a nice and fresh Buzzsaw and slide into a booth far off to the side.

Although the Corner has just opened for the day, it's already very lively. The crowd is all middle aged, some business men and some blue collar workers. While there are differences amongst them, they all came here for the same thing: to enjoy a nice cold beer directly from the source.

My buzzsaw is an IPA with a taste of citrus and pine. According to their website, the brew "pays homage to Ypsilanti's early years when sawmills handcrafted the lumber that built the town.” Which is ironic because with an ABV of 6.8 percent, I thought the name buzzsaw hinted at another meaning.

The groups here are talking amongst themselves and all seems well. People are beginning to eat food, which I too shall do rather soon. I'm definitely noticing no shortage of masks being worn here and there are hand sanitizing stations all throughout The Corner, so I feel comfortable with having lunch here.

I placed an order for Teacher Patti's Reuben. According to the menu this consists of: "Thick buttered rye, sauteed corned beef, sauerkraut, horseradish mayo, and swiss cheese.”

While waiting for my food, I admire the building. Cement floors with brick walls and glass paned windows surround the spacious area that is the dining room. There are chalkboards listing what brews are on tap along with statistics detailing each one. T-shirts are for sale, and there's a section above the bar with personal mugs for regulars. By paying yearly for the mug, one's brews are bigger and cheaper.

The food came quickly and was simply amazing to say the least. The horseradish mayo kicked like a mule and made my face sweat. Totally worth $12.

Aside from indoor seating, the brewery also has a very spacious beer garden with many tables spread out and plenty of trees for shade.

Their menu is quite extensive, burgers, sandwiches, and pizzas as well as some very delicious appetizers. My favorite being the soft pretzels with beer cheese. The pretzels come buttered and warm, with two different beer cheeses to choose from. Another great selection is the Margehrita Pizza, which is more than enough for 2 to 3 people to eat and then head home with everyone feeling full.

As the White Stripes play on the speakers, I get a box for the other half of my sandwich and make my exit. I'm very glad to have had lunch here at the Corner Brewery. As busy as they are, I don't foresee them leaving town anytime soon.

Even with that being said, don't wait! Whenever you get a chance, take a trip down to The Corner.