The Eastern Echo Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 | Print Archive

8cd6b7a50be4148dbce376f548a17b19.1000x1000x1.png

Review: Sam Smith will please their listeners with a new album full of passion.

The latest album from Smith is a mix of flirtatious fun and sincere passion. This album feels pretty pop, but Smith can't help bringing us that soul.

Sam Smith (Smith goes by pronouns they/their) is back with their latest project “Love Goes” and Smith remains the passionate singer we’ve come to expect since their debut back in 2014.  

While this statement is true and ballads are still their best, Smith does try their hand at up-tempo tracks.  This is evident on the second single “Diamonds” and “Another One.”  The songs both start off slow and sweet and then the beat truly drops.  It’s the perfect combination for Smith.  They can still keep their tender persona, while adding a youthful and club feel. 

“God, I dodged a bullet,” sings Smith.  “I ran fast right through it.  I love myself too much to fight you. But oh congratulations.  You found the one.  Another one.”  

A song that is joyful and should be on the radio right now is “So Serious.” It fits the sound and message of what’s currently on the radio.  The track is about how sometimes we can get emotional and be overly serious and we need to just let those feelings pass.  

“Put your hands in the air if you sometimes ever get sad like me,” sings Smith. “Put your fingers on your chest and your body and breathe.  Let it be.” 

Even though this may seem like an odd comparison at first, Smith seems to remind me of Taylor Swift.  They both sing about being devastated by heartbreak and about falling madly and totally in love.  It all comes from a place of extremes.  

This is clear on the song “Forgive Myself.”  Smith sings about not being able to move on and start a new relationship before finding self-forgiveness.  Right from the beginning of this track, it sounds like something Swift could have done.  It has a Swift vibe, while being the gorgeous vocal and epic ballad Smith always delivers.

“Do you think of me when you’re in California alone,” sings Smith.  “It’s a lonely place at the best times of times, Lord knows.  I won’t lie to you.  I could have given you more.  But life got fast. Good things don’t last anymore.”  

The second song the Swift and Smith comparison works on is “Kids Again.” It’s nostalgic and heartbreaking. Smith brings their A-game to this track. Smith has a voice that almost instantly makes you feel you could weep.  There is a maturity to this track, while still having such a sense of innocence.  The mixture of maturity and innocence is where Smith always shines their brightest. 

“Do you ever think about it,” sings Smith.  “The way we changed the world. And don’t it make you sad. That will never be kids again.”  

One of my favorite tracks here is “Fire on Fire.”  This song is passion times a million.  It’s about being an intense lover and finding another person who is an intense lover as well.  People say it’s hard to find your match when you are a passionate person, but that is until you find another passionate person and you create a beautiful fire on fire. 

“Fire on fire would normally kill us,” sings Smith.  “But this much desire, together, we’re winners.  They say that we’re out of control and some say we’re sinners.  But don’t let that ruin our beautiful rhythms.”  

Two duets on this album that are a must-listen are “Dancing With A Stranger” with Normani and “I’m Ready” with Demi Lovato.  These tracks with these stellar women help to give this album even more heat.  

“Love Goes” feels both heavy and light.  It’s a cathartic album filled with a rainbow of emotions that prove why we love Smith.