The Eastern Echo Podcast Logo Fall 2019

Podcast: February 17, 2021

EMU's College of Business and College of Education are ranked nationally by the U.S. World and News Report, and Ypsilanti Public Schools receive a grant to fund nutritious meal options.

Liz Hornyak: On this week’s episode, EMU’s College of Business and the College of Education are ranked nationally for having some of the best online graduate programs, and the Michigan Department of Education awards Ypsilanti Public Schools a $15,000 grant to provide students with nutritious meals. I am your host Liz Hornyak and this is the Easten Echo Podcast.

The U.S. News and World Report has ranked EMU’s Integrated Marketing Program 60th in the nation, and second in the state of Michigan for being one of the best online graduate programs. According to Kenneth Lord, this is not the first time that EMU’s College of Business has been ranked.

”We moved up six notches of what we were last year,“ Lord said. "We are of course among the best in Michigan and the ranking is for not only IMC programs but is for all non-MBA online graduate business programs. So to be among the top 100 in the nation across that broad category of online business programs is pretty exciting, and its nice to see our upward movement in rankings. We’re not only among the best but we’re getting better every year.”

EMU’s graduate College of Education program was ranked 144th in the nation in best online graduate programs. According to Dr. Mike Sayler, who is the Dean of the College Education, the school’s graduate programs are extremely flexible to students’ schedules.

Mike Sayler: A person can really finish up these degrees very quickly. And it it really fits their schedule, not the academic university schedule of September through December, January through April, maybe some summer courses. This is much more flexible for them, and we offer courses in all three departments and in those Master’s programs in the fall, in the winter, and in the summer. So a person can move a long as fast, or as slow as they want.

Liz Hornyak: Their programs are also fast-growing, with 100% enrollment in the teacher education curriculum program, the online early childhood program and the educational psychology program.

For information about EMU’s College of Business and College of Education’s graduate programs you can go to www.emich.edu/cob/index.php and www.emich.edu/coe/

In community news, Ypsilanti schools received a $15,000 grant from the Michigan Department of Education’s “10 Cents a Meal for Michigan’s Kids and Farms Program.” This grant allows schools and centers to provide children with nutritious meals, and purchase and serve Michigan-grown produce. This is how the program works:

• Schools and centers purchase local produce, at least twice the amount of the grant award. For Ypsilanti schools, this means they are responsible for purchasing $30,000 of Michigan produce.

• The produce is served in school and center meals that qualify for USDA reimbursable meals.

• Schools and centers must promote the Michigan produce and provide some educational components about local agriculture and products.

• They are responsible for submitting receipts and invoices on a monthly basis, and completing 3-4 surveys.

• Schools and centers will then receive reimbursement.

For information about this program, you can go to https://www.tencentsmichigan.org/

As always, thank you so much for tuning in to the Eastern Echo Podcast. Don’t forget to tune in next Wednesday for more community and university news. Today’s episode was reported by Emily Bernabe and Cedrick Charles, and was scripted by Jasmine Boyd, and produced by Ronia Cabansag and Ethan Myers. I am your host Liz Hornyak and this is the Eastern Echo Podcast.