dounia.jpg

Review: You should listen to underrated artist Dounia

This mixed-genre goddess is a musician that everyone needs in their life, bringing majesty to every mood.

If you haven’t heard music from this mixed-genre Moroccan goddess, you are truly missing out on some heat. With tons of tracks full of empowering words and majestic sound, Dounia is an underrated artist that everyone should be listening to. 

Since I heard her first EP Intro To years ago, Dounia has released tons more project’s and singles that I have more recently become obsessed with. 

Her sound is a mesh of alternative pop and R&B, but Dounia truly creates a unique sound of her own, not fitting into any box. Additionally, the 23-year-old is not signed to any label, making great strides independently. 

On “Rich Girl Mood,” from her 2018 album The Avant-Garden, Dounia collaborated with popular R&B star Kehlani, producing an immaculate pairing for a beautiful track. 

Other project’s she has released include: The Scandal (2019), Popping in the Abyss - EP (2020), and Natural Chaotic - EP (2020).

On every masterpiece she puts out though, her lyrics are genius and her soulful voice brings amazing feeling to any day, no matter the mood.

“Don’t care what they on, wrapped up in my zone / So leave me alone to enjoy my own company / Making imperfection look amazing,” Dounia sings on “My Own Company.” 

Dounia sends the message to stay true to yourself and not let anyone else deter your light. Still, she also discusses deep love with other beings, another important part of life. 

“Is loving you like, corny? / Is writing poetry about it, like weird? / ‘Cause I’ve fallen hard before in de-love-usion / It’s something I don’t ever wanna come near,” she sings on “Write It How I Like.” 

On many tracks, Dounia questions individuals and her relationships with them, making sure nobody is holding her back from her full potential. 

“How I look breaking my own heart so I won’t break yours / Are you dumb, dumb, dumb / You were too attached bitched get off me I’m done, done done / Love yourself ‘cause I’m done, done done.”

Additionally, Dounia is openly bisexual and stays true to herself, encouraging others to do the same. Discussing her sexuality and demonstrating true openness shines on many tracks, “Kinda Fun,” being one of them

“I been in my zone, call you when I’m done / ‘Cause sometimes I get bored and boys are kinda fun / On the tip of my tongue, but you’ll think what you want / ‘Cause sometimes I get bored and girls are kinda fun.”

While I could go on with tons of my favorite Dounia lyrics, the singer/songwriter isn’t only talented when it comes to words, but with visuals and sound as well. Her production style is unique from any other artist out today, making each work of art authentic and versatile in itself. 

“Me versus me and I must resolve / Finally grown, so I know I’m the only one involved / And I know that you doubt yourself / Why the fuck else would you come doubt me?” 

Dounia keeps it real, with eccentricity and beauty that doesn’t compare to anyone else in the music industry. Whether you want to get in your feelings and reminisce on a past lover or feel empowered like the bad bitch you are, there is a Dounia song for you to enjoy. 

Her lyrics are relatable and her sound is enchanting, a piece of your life that is missing as of now. Her vulnerability and variety are elements that add to her apparent skill and make a beautiful addition to your playlist.

If this is your first time hearing of Dounia, now is the time to check all her stuff out