EMU eSports team

EMU and Gen. G announce the arrival of several new esport programs for students

The announcement comes a year after the partnership was announced and is said to bring more opportunities to Eastern students in the esports gaming world.

EMU and Global esports organization (Gen. G) announced several esports summer programs coming to the university to engage students, alumni, and the greater community to the fun of online gaming. 

The announcement comes over a year after Gen. G first partnered with Eastern to support players by creating connections to the Esports program. Gen.G is a leading organization that connects teams from China, South Korea, and the United States, to build a more global future for esports. 

Eastern Michigan University President James Smith said the partnership with Gen. G is an asset to the university and the students.

“Engaging students in gaming competitions is a fun and exciting way to create new friendships as well as establish campus pride,” Smith said in a written announcement on the partnership. “Even more significant, from my standpoint, are the opportunities to share with our students the many career prospects in the exploding esports industry,  which can include everything from arts and graphics, to business and marketing, to science, cybersecurity, and technology.”

The programs will include a summer showdown tournament July 24-25 for 5v5 League of Legends and one for the 3v3 Rocket League from  July 31 to Aug 1. Invites were sent to local high schools and collegiate teams with strong showings 

The university also reintroduced the Eagles Gaming Club. The esports club will bring events to EMU for students interested in these types of activities which in addition to launching esport camps in partnership with Gen. G., are still open for registration. EMU will host a Gaming Careers Speaker Series, the series is intended to open student's eyes to how they can apply degrees and find careers in the gaming industry. 

“Eastern Michigan University created several innovative gaming programs, for prospective and current students, and alums, last year even while students were studying remotely,” said Chief Executive Officer at Gen.G., Chris Park in a written announcement. He continued, “We are thrilled to continue that great work together this summer in a big way.” 

“Through the partnership, we’ve gotten a lot of connections between talent and overall really connected students a bit more to the Esports industry,” Charles Spencer, assistant director of esports and programming at EMU said.

Spencer said gaming has received more respect in its own right over the years due to the entertainment aspect behind gaming as well as the similarities between esports and traditional gaming. 

“I think people are seeing the similarities between traditional sports but at the same time how it is still different. I think what’s missing is how global this thing has gone and how teams are not locked in one region,” Spencer said.

After winning the 2021 Teemo Cup, a League of Legends tournament, the university shows its dedication to esports. The university is also encouraging local community members to participate in esports events at EMU to enjoy the gaming experience and learn more about campus life.