The rowing team

EMU Women's Rowing welcomes two new coaches ahead of 2021-22 season

Annie Cantu and Delaney McGuire will assist Head Coach Kemp Savage for the 2021-22 season

Over the summer, the Eastern Michigan University’s Women’s Rowing team hired two new coaches, Delaney McGuire and Annie Cantu, in order to assist Head Coach Kemp Savage throughout the 2021-22 season.

McGuire was a graduate assistant under Head Coach Savage’s rowing team at EMU from 2016-18. While pursuing her Masters Degree in Sports Management, McGuire was promoted to an assistant coach during the 2018-19 season. Following the season, McGuire joined her alma-mater, Saint Joseph’s University’s (SJU) coaching staff in 2019-20 in Philadelphia, PA. During her time at SJU, McGuire was a four-year letter winner from 2012-16, a team captain and earned Atlantic 10 All-Conference First Team accolades.

McGuire eagerly looks ahead at the 2021-22 rowing season as the new assistant varsity coach for the Eastern Michigan Eagle.

"I want to continue to expand our recruiting profile, and make EMU a top choice for athletes coming out of high school,“ McGuire said.

“I hope that I can help create an environment that the athletes can feel safe to challenge themselves to set higher goals and go after them, without the fear of what might happen if they fail,“ McGuire said. "I want to help them to see more in themselves, and I think if we can do that we will do great things this year.”

Prior to her appointing as the new novice coach for EMU Women’s Rowing, Annie Cantu was a four-year letter winner at Michigan State University. Cantu graduated in May of 2020 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and minors in Human Behavior and Social Sciences. Cantu rowed in the 1V 8 her last three seasons with the Spartans. After graduation, Cantu spent a year as an assistant coach at the Dallas Rowing Club in Dallas, TX.

Cantu is excited for the opportunity to challenger herself as well as the EMU athletes under Head Coach Kemp Savage at Eastern Michigan University.

“As a rowing coach of any level, I will always strive to encourage and challenge my athletes to be not only the best athletes they can be, but also the best people they can be outside of the sport of rowing,” Cantu said.

EMU Women’s Rowing team and updated coaching staff prepare for a matchup on Saturday, Oct. 16, against Michigan State University on Grand River.