covid-19 vaccine

Pfizer COVID-19 vaccinations for children available in Washtenaw County starting Nov. 9

The Washtenaw County Health Department will begin offering Pfizer pediatric COVID-19 vaccinations on Tuesday, Nov. 9, by appointment only.

Pfizer pediatric COVID-19 vaccines for children aged 5-11 will be available through the Washtenaw County Health Department starting Tuesday, Nov. 9.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention approved the pediatric Pfizer mRNA vaccine Tuesday, Nov. 2. The vaccine is proven to be 91% effective at preventing COVID-19 infection in children aged 5 -11 through clinical trials, according to the CDC.

The pediatric vaccinations are available at no cost and by appointment only, according to the WCHD. The vaccine clinic is located at 555 Towner St. in Ypsilanti, and a parent or guardian must be present at the appointment for children under the age of 18.

Available appointments will be posted on washtenaw.org at noon on Friday, Nov. 5, and Monday, Nov. 8.

“We are very excited to start vaccinating younger children,” Jimena Loveluck, health officer for Washtenaw County Health Department, said in a written statement. “Vaccination continues to be our best tool for protecting individuals from serious illness and limiting the impact of COVID overall. Combining vaccination with non-medical interventions like masks, distance, and isolation or quarantine, provides as much protection as possible.”

Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines are expected to be widely available, WCHD said.

“Importantly, we do not expect vaccine supplies to be limited for our 5 to 11-year old children,” Loveluck said in a written statement. “Please be patient with us and other vaccine providers. More and more opportunities for these vaccinations are coming as we and others finalize plans and announce dates.”

Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson initial and booster shots are available for adults at the health department's clinic on a walk-in basis.

More information about the COVID-19 vaccine and appointments can be found on the Washtenaw County Health Department's website, www.washtenaw.org.