The Washtenaw and Livingston County Health Departments have partnered with LynxDx of Ann Arbor to open new COVID-19 testing centers in Ypsilanti and Brighton.
The saliva-based PCR tests are available for all ages, by appointment only, and at no-cost. Testing is available with or without insurance or symptoms. Results are delivered through text or email within about 48 hours.
The testing involves collecting a saliva sample instead of a nasal swab. Anyone getting tested should not eat or drink for 30 minutes before the appointment, according to the WCHD.
COVID-19 testing is now available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the following locations daily, including weekends:
- Former Walmart site at 2515 Ellsworth Road in Ypsilanti
- Legacy Center Sports Complex at 9299 Goble Drive in Brighton
The WCHD recommends the following steps to reduce the spread of the omicron variant, which is “more easily transmitted” than previous variants, according to the WCHD.
- Get vaccinated or boosted if eligible
- Wear a well-fitting face mask around others (a surgical, KN95, or N95 mask is recommended over a cloth mask)
- Keep at least 6 feet apart from others
- Clean hands frequently
- Avoid crowded areas or gatherings
- Seek testing if feeling ill, or if you have been exposed
- Stay away from others if you are feeling ill, waiting for test results, or have tested positive
The WCHD also encourages people who are experiencing one or more of the following symptoms to stay away from others and get tested:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting