Basketball

EMU Women's Basketball face sixth-straight loss following defeat to Akron 68-64

Areanna Combs tied career-high 32 points in loss to the Zips

On Wednesday Jan. 26, the EMU womens' basketball team fell short 68-64 against Akron at James A. Rhodes Arena.

The Eagles (4-11, 0-7 Mid-American Conference) trailed the Akron Zips (8-6, 5-2 Mid-American Conference) through the first half. Headed into the second-half facing a nine-point deficit, the Eagles outscored the Zips in both the third and fourth quarter, 30-25 in the second half, but the scoring efforts were not enough to claim victory.

Two Eagles scored in double figures. EMU was led by redshirt senior guard Areanna Combs with a tied career-high of 32 points and three assists. Combs is the top scorer for the Eagles this season with 269 points, averaging 17.9 per game. Redshirt sophomore forward Ce’Nara Skanes contributed 16 points, shooting 100 percent from the free throw line.

The Zips also had two players in double-digit scoring. Freshman forward Reagan Bass had 23 points and redshirt senior forward Jordyn Dawson contributed 22.

Skanes also was strong in the paint, grabbing 12 rebounds and blocking two Zips. Skanes recorded her sixth double-double for the 2021-22 season, 17 in her EMU career. Skanes is tied for the most career double-doubles in EMU history with former Eagles Sarah VanMetre (2003-07) and Oliva Fouty (2010-14).

Junior guard Natalia Pineda recorded four steals, tying her career-high. Combs also contributed three steals to her stats.

EMU forced 15 turnovers, scoring 17 points in their favor off of these turnovers.

The Eagles will meet with the Zips again on Feb. 12 in The George Gervin GameAbove Center.

This past Saturday, EMU faced Miami University at Millet Hall. This upcoming Tuesday, the Eagles will play against Buffalo at 7 p.m. at the Gervin GameAbove Center. You can watch this match on ESPN3 or listen at WEMU 89.1.