The Eastern Echo Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 | Print Archive

EMU_Sign_Housing.JPG

EMU's Board of Regents reduces graduation credits, approves housing rates, and more

Eastern Michigan University’s Board of Regents held a meeting Thursday, Feb. 17, to announce a reduction of credits required for graduation, housing and meal plan rates for the 2022-23 school year, EMU’s Social Justice Center Pilot Year, and more.

The Board of Regents revised a policy that will change the required amount of credits to graduate from 124 semester hours of academic credits to 120 academic credits at the 100-level and above. The policy revision applies to each curriculum leading to a bachelor’s degree.

The Board of Regents also approved an increase in housing rates for campus residence halls and apartments by an average of 3% for the 2022-23 academic year.

In addition, a reduced differential for single rooms costs $1,600 a year over the cost of a double room, which is an increase from the $1,000 price differential in the 2021-2022 academic year yet below the $2,500 surcharge for a single room in the 2019-2020 academic year.

Meal-plan rates are set to increase by 4.78% in the 2022-23 academic year, allowing the university to invest in the maintenance of high-quality food offerings in EMU’s dining facilities, according to the university.

The university notes that both increases in housing and meal-plan rates are less than the cost of inflation, an effort to alleviate as much financial burden off EMU students.

The Board of Regents held a presentation to introduce The EMU Civil Rights & Social Justice Center Pilot Year. The project aims to engage with contemporary and historical civil rights and social justice issues, as well as to partner with local government and community organizations for change.

The project also plans on providing workshops, training, and forums to promote student engagement with civil rights and social justice research and work. Its goals include speaking about civil rights today, a DEI workshop and professional development, building relationships and collaborations, preserving civil rights history, a policing and social justice roundtable, and student scholars working across geographic boundaries.

Documents from the Board of Regent’s meeting can be found on EMU’s website.