The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

Lucky Haskins: Ypsilanti native Ben Hourani opens antique shop in Depot Town

Antique shop with a twist comes to Depot Town, offering something for everyone with a variety of unique vintage items.

Lucky Haskins, an antique shop that opened in Depot Town last November, offers fun and retro items for shoppers including books, comics, glassware, science fiction toys, movie items, vintage jewelry, and more.

"Basically, the shop is antiques, new things, and everything in-between,“ Ben Hourani, Ypsilanti native and owner of Lucky Haskins said.

Hourani had been looking to set up shop in Ypsilanti for awhile and has other shops stationed in Ann Arbor and Dexter. In November, a desirable space at 27 E. Cross Street became available for Hourani and he was able to quickly move in and open his store in time for Black Friday.

“I started out in Ypsi and I like Depot Town a lot, spent a lot of my formative years in the area and have always loved the shops,” Hourani said. “I love the people here. They are kind and, frankly, very real.”

Hourani hadn't always been an antique dealer; he worked in food service for 30 years before following his passion for owning an antique and collectible shop. Hourani grew up in Ypsilanti in the '70s on the 300 block of Washtenaw. 

“I’ve been buying and selling antiques and collectibles since I was a kid,” Hourani said. “I did flea markets with my grandparents a few times and got hooked early on.”

Since its opening, the community has responded well to the shop and has been very welcoming. Hourani notes that patrons seem genuinely pleased with the items offered at the shop.

“It was a lot of work, but it was worth it,” Hourani said. “I am very pleased and grateful to have found a spot here in Ypsilanti.”

Hourani himself cannot pick a favorite item from his shop with so much variety available.

“I like WW2 items a lot, vintage jewelry is fun, and I do really like smaller furnishings,” Hourani said. “As well as vintage clothes and comics, antique marble is another favorite.”

The possibilities are endless at Lucky Haskins, as everyone should be able to find something that fits their personality in a unique way.

“I enjoy selling antiques and collectibles. Not just to earn a living, but I genuinely enjoy the feeling of bringing people together with some super cool item they’ve been looking for forever,“ Hourani said. “Overall, I’d like people to know it's a fun shop. I do my best to keep prices fair when buying, selling, and trading. I like to sell things that can bring a little cheer.”

Lucky Haskins is located at 27 E Cross St., Ypsilanti and is open each week Wednesday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.