0217_MelWestfall_illo226.jpg

Advice: How students can maintain a healthy mindset

Having a healthy mindset affects your college experience in more ways than you think.

Many people think being healthy is only about exercising and maintaining a better diet, but emotional and mental health are massively important as well. A healthy mindset can have many benefits, so here are some things you can do to develop one.

One way to remember these three mindsets is through the acronym GPS, which stands for growth, purpose, and social.

I was taught the "GSP" method of a healthy mind in one of my classes. GSP stands for growth, social, and persist. Having a growth mindset refers to a person’s belief that skills and abilities can develop through hard work, trying challenging things, learning from failure, and adjusting strategies to accomplish goals. This makes someone more likely to overcome challenges easily because they understand that challenges are part of the success process.

In addition, when people find meaning and purpose in their life, they persist longer, enjoy what they’re doing more, and feel better about their lives. So, as a student, whenever you are going through a hard phase, remembering that getting a degree can help make your dreams become reality will make it less hard.

Wanting to fit in and make social connections is a fundamental part of being human, but making social connections can take time. In particular, when you first become a college student you might think that you are the only one struggling. When you start to get to know other people, you will feel a lot better when you can share your stressful experience with someone who goes through the same hardships.

Remember, good things come to those who wait. Everything takes time, just try to enjoy the process and trust yourself. I hope this helps you on your journey to develop a healthier mindset.