The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

The rowing team

EMU rowing completes strong effort against MSU in home opening regatta

The Eagles 2V8 crossed the line only 0.04 seconds behind the Spartans 2V8

On April 2, Eastern Michigan University’s women’s rowing team hosted their Eagles Unite regatta against Michigan State University’s crew on Ford Lake in Ypsilanti, MI. The last time the two squads met was during the fall season at the Head of the Grand regatta in East Lansing, MI on Oct. 16 on Grand River.

The Eagles 2V8 completed a strong race against MSU, finishing only 0.04 seconds behind the Spartan’s 2V8 boat.

Each race was 2,000 meters long. The first match of the day consisted of the novice 8’s. Coming in first was MSU’s N8 A at 7:49.9. The Spartan’s N8 B boat followed with a time of 8:01.6, and EMU’s N8 came in third at 9:17.9.

The Eagles N8 line up consisted of Carly Summers, Sydney Sheridan, Libbey Lloyd, Megan Fowler, Zoe Davis, Kara Bishop, Elon English, and Eliana Howes with Kat Childs as the coxswain.

Next up was the 3V8 race. MSU’s 3V8 finished the race in 7:43.82. The Eagles 3V8 crossed the finish line with a time of 8:33.71.

EMU’s 3V8 line up had Kaialani Knox, Emily Gandy, Emma Wyss, Claire McCurley, Anna Eschenburg, Maia Balderson, Kelly Truitt, and Kaycee Johnson with Erin Corbley coxing the boat.

The 2V8 race was the closest match up of the day, with the two boats competing neck and neck the entire 2,000 meters. MSU came in first at 7:29.56, and EMU right after at 7:29.60.

The Eagles 2V8 line up consisted of Priscilla Brom, Olivia Hansen, Alexis Kettler, Ariel Sutton, Lily Wilhelm, Jessica LaRoy, Claire Greenfelder, and Arden Schirru with Olivia Bray as the coxswain.

Next was the 1V4 race. MSU dominated with the 1V4 A boat coming in at 8:16.42 and the 1V4 B boat crossing the finish line at 8:35.57. The Eagles finished the race in 8:54.72.

EMU’s 1V4 lineup had Brianna Gracey, Lindsay Rock, Kristen Ford, Alexandria Parsons with Alexandra Walsh coxing the boat.

Lastly, it was the 1V8 boats turn to battle. MSU’s 1V8 crossed the finish line first at 7:09.66, and EMU’s 1V8 followed at 7:26.4.

The Eagles 1V8 lineup consisted of Brynne Harder, Chloe Hinojosa, Emma Boersen, Abbey Simpson, Caitlin Rodanhisler, Carly Szymanski, Reagan Fazekas, and Mary Hemgesberg with Abby Goodwin as the coxswain.

On April 9, the Eagles will travel to Newton, MA to race against Boston College on Charles River.