Eastern Michigan sprinter Chante Roberts competes int he 400m dash during a triangular meet against Central Michigan and Oakland in Ypsilanti, 23 Jan.

EMU track and field competes in Golden Grizzlies Invitational

Chevonne Wheeler placed second in first collegiate heptathlon

On April 8 and 9, members of the Eastern Michigan University track and field team traveled to Rochester, MI to compete in the Golden Grizzlies Invitational. Other teammates participated in the Hurricane Alumni Invitational Coral Gables, FL and the Tennessee Relays in Knoxville, TN.

Junior Chevonne Wheeler and freshman Maleah Scott both competed in their first collegiate heptathlon, which included the 100-meter hurdles, high jump, shot put, and the 200-meter dash on Friday and long jump, javelin, and the 800-meter dash on Saturday.

Wheeler finished first in the 200-meter dash and placed third overall in the heptathlon event on Friday. Scott placed seventh overall and bested her high jump and shot put from the indoor season.

On Saturday, Wheeler placed first in the 800-meter dash with a time of 2:21.96. Wheeler finished second in her first collegiate heptathlon with a total of 4,285 points. Scott placed seventh in the heptathlon with 3,566 points.

Junior Lexie Seifert recorded a time of 4:40.48 in the 1500-meter run. Junior Eddie Zuercher set a personal record of 4:02.78 for the 1500-meter run.

Freshman Zariah Paul also recorded a new personal best in discus, throwing a total of 26.61 meters.

In a post-event press conference with EMU athletics, coach Sue Parks shared her thoughts on the "bright spots" and improvement areas for the EMU track and field team.

"The weather was a factor at Oakland and Tennessee but we have to learn to be mentally tough in all conditions. Overall, we took some steps forward this weekend and that's what we need to be doing at this point of the season,” said coach Parks.

Up next, EMU distance runners will travel to Azusa, CA to participate in the Azusa Pacific University’s Bryan Clay Invitational from April 13-15. Other Eagle track and field members will attend the Don Kleinow Invitational on April 14th at Siena Heights University in Adrian, MI.