Thor L&T.jpg

Review: ‘Thor: Love and Thunder’ sets a rumble in your tummy

‘Thor: Love and Thunder’ is a comedy-filled spectacle.

This movie is for fans of Marvel and comedy films in general. This is one of those Marvel movies that are different from the rest, but it brings a new light to a known character and is refreshing to watch.

Synopsis

Thor embarks on a journey unlike anything he's ever faced before: a quest for inner peace. During his retirement, however, he gets interrupted by Gorr the God butcher who thirsts for the death of all gods. Starring Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Christan Bale as Gorr, Natalie Portman as Mighty Thor and Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie.

What I loved 

The introduction of Mighty Thor. I loved Mighty Thor from the intro to the character to the comedy they bring: all around an amazing new (but old) character. Portman does a great job of being Jane Foster and Mighty Thor and of bringing that package to life.

The format of the film. The way they composed this film with an overall narrator (which doesn't take away or hinder the plot) just makes it so fresh. I think Korg is a hilarious character, and his goofy personality makes him the perfect narrator. 

What I didn't love 

The beginning of the movie. I completely understand having to introduce new characters to set the plot in motion, but the beginning felt so out of place. It simply felt like it was only there to further the plotline and would've felt better if it didn't stick out like a sore thumb. Having it at the beginning of the movie not only sets a different tone for the movie, but it doesn't make us emotionally connected with such little time to understand their story.

Not all the comedy landed. This movie felt way different from other Thor films, but a lot of the comedic moments didn't land for me. Most of the comedy was good, but it was the combination of really scary than funny that threw me off, or when it's obviously supposed to be funny but isn't. 

Verdict

I think this movie is good to watch for Marvel fans and for people who want a fresh comedic superhero film. While you won't understand all the throwbacks in the film, it can truly stand on its own. It’s a funny, lovable and beautifully done film.

I give "Thor: Love and Thunder" a 7 out of 10.