Track & Field

Two former EMU track & field standouts compete in World Athletics Championships

WAC takes place on July 15-24 at Hayward Field in Eugene, OR

Former Eastern Michigan University track stars Donald Scott and Lahsene Bouchikhi are set to compete in the World Athletics Championships July 15-24. The event is hosted in the United States at Hayward Field in Eugene, OR (EMUEagles.com).

Scott is a 2015 EMU graduate and former eight-time Mid-American Conference Champion. He will display his athleticism in the triple jump event. In the USATF Outdoor Championships on June 26, Scott won in the event with a 17.07m leap. The former EMU graduate has now collected eight USATF titles within the indoor and outdoor seasons. The qualifying round for the men’s triple jump will be on July 21 at 6:20 p.m. PT. The finals are set for July 23 at 6 p.m. PT.

Bouchikhi helped the eagles receive the MAC trophy every year from 2014-2017 and graduated from EMU in 2018. He will represent Belgium in the marathon, his home country. Bouchikhi and his teammates finished 1-5 at the league’s cross country championships for EMU’s seventh consecutive title. He earned First Team All-MAC honors his junior year and placed fifth in the Spartan Invitational with a time of 25:11.2 in the 8,000 meter race. The EMU alum recorded a personal-best marathon time of 2:10:22 earlier this year at the Zurich Marathon Sevilla on Feb. 20. 

The men’s marathon took place on July 17 at 6:15 am PT. Bouchikhi had a 29 KM split of 1:30:58 and was in 49 place, but did not finish the marathon for unknown reasons (worldathletics.org).

NBC Sports will broadcast the whole event from Eugene with live afternoon and primetime shows. USA Network and CNBC will also air coverage of the championships. The NBC sports app and Peacock will feature the event as well.