IMG_0339.JPG

Explore new outdoor courts outside of the Rec/IM the day before classes start

Join the Rec/IM and Campus Life in their "Recharge the Rec" event on Aug. 28.

As part of Eastern Michigan University’s Welcome Home 2025 plan, a transformative student housing redevelopment project, students will be able to enjoy newly constructed basketball and volleyball courts outside of the Rec/IM building on campus. 

EMU is committed to supporting the student body's health and well-being, and the new courts are aligned with that commitment. The courts offer opportunities for physical activity by relieving stress, preventing disease and improving mood. 

The new courts are located next to the scenic pond and just north of the Rec/IM building. According to the director of EMU’s Rec/IM, Justin Jett, the outdoor courts will be open for students to play basketball, pickleball, and volleyball.

“I've had several opportunities to speak with students who are excited to get out there,” Jett said. “With the recent renovations to the Rec/IM building and added windows overlooking University Park, the courts will bring a renewed buzz to campus and students can continue to enjoy upgraded facilities inside and outside.”

To show off the new courts, the Rec/IM is partnering with EMU Campus Life to host “Recharge the Rec” on the day before classes begin, Aug. 28 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. New EMU students will be able to explore the new courts and the Rec/IM building, as well as participate in a variety of activities. Food and beverages will be provided. 

“We encourage everyone to stop by and check out the new outdoor area and the recently renovated Rec facilities,” Jett said.