Don't Worry.jpg

‘Don’t Worry Darling’ brings spine-chilling distress to audiences

This film will make you question what the perfect life is.

If you like psychosocial thrillers that genuinely make you question who to trust then ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ is for you. This film takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions and will leave you with many questions.

Synopsis

Set in the 1950s, Alice and Jack Chambers, played by Florence Pugh and Harry Styles, live in an idealized society called The Victory Project, led by Chris Pine’s character Frank. During the day, the husbands go to work and the wives stay at home to cook and clean. The men must be discreet about what they are really working on and the women are seemingly fine with simply enjoying a perfect life in oblivion.

However, when the perfection begins to crack, everything shatters, and Alice can’t help but question what is really going on.

The film is directed by Olivia Wilde, who also stars in the film as Bunny, married to Dean, played by Nick Kroll.

What I loved 

Florence freaking Pugh. I will not lie when I say I am biased toward films Pugh is in, but every single time she delivers, this film is no different. She put so much emotion into this role and scared me senselessly many times. The way she can shift her entire mood from one moment to the next just takes you so deep into this film, it’s outstanding. 

The visuals and music in the film. From the beauty of the Victory Project to the outstanding cut scenes, this film is visually stunning, while the music either makes you want to get up and dance or crawl out of your skin. I’m still singing a song from the film a day after watching it and cannot get it out of my head because it's that catchy. If nothing else, this movie is beautiful and addictive. 

What I didn't love 

The lack of a real plot in the film. There's a lot of beautiful cinematography, and spine-chilling fear, but not a lot of much else. I felt like I was searching for where things connected or made sense, but couldn't find anything. Most stuff connects at the very end of the film, but a lot doesn't, and you shouldn't have to watch an entire movie to get the plot at the very end. 

How many things didn't add up. This plays a lot into my previous point, but even in the end, a lot of things didn't make sense to the film overall. To not spoil too much, a lot of things like promotions, dances, and more felt out of place, and obscure to the story. You definitely have to think a lot throughout this movie and think back, but even thinking back on some things I couldn't see their purpose.

Verdict 

While the movie shines with Florence Pugh as the main character, she can’t be the only thing to hold the film together. I loved the music and visuals, but the story (except for the very end), felt lost to me. 

I give ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ a 6.5 out of 10.