IMG_8976.jpg

EMU administration request for temporary restraining order against striking union denied by Washtenaw County Circuit Court judge

EMU administration request for a temporary restraining order was denied on Sept. 9.

On Sept. 9 a Washtenaw County Circuit Court judge denied Eastern Michigan University administration’s request for a temporary restraining order that would require striking faculty to return to work.

On Sept. 7, EMU administration filed a complaint and motion in Washtenaw County Circuit Court asking for an injunction ordering striking faculty back to work.

“Our primary focus has and continues to be getting faculty back in the classroom so that our students can continue their education,” Walter Kraft, University Vice President for Communications said.

The judge has set a hearing for Sept. 16 to evaluate the university’s request for a temporary injunction.

“Now that their unsupported claim for a temporary restraining order to force EMU faculty back to work has failed, it's time to focus on good faith negotiations so we can reach a fair agreement that supports our students,” Mohamed El-Sayed professor of engineering and President of EMU-AAUP said.

The university has continued to hold classes during the strike and will continue to be led by faculty and instructors who are not a part of the union.

“The disruption to our students has already been significant,” Kraft said. “Meanwhile, negotiations have been underway under the guidance and support of an independent state-appointed mediator, with a state-appointed factfinder soon to be involved as well.”

EMU-AAUP claims EMU Administration has delayed the start of contract talks, has canceled several meetings, and failed to show up for others. However, the EMU administration adamantly denies this, claiming to want negotiations to continue. 

“The process designed to find common ground in labor disputes, should be allowed to play out,” Kraft said.

Their last negotiation meeting was Sept. 7 with a state mediator present. No new meetings have been arranged at this time.

“Our negotiation team is available today and everyday to find common ground, settle this dispute and move our University forward,” El-Sayed said.