the crushers.jpg

Review: Go through a time warp with Hayley and the Crushers' record 'Modern Adult Kicks'

This California punk band is much more than glitter, and this album proves it. Checkout Hayley and the Crushers' newest project "Modern Adult Kicks."

It is not every day that people find a band like Hayley and the Crushers. Described as “poolside glitter punk,” this band has been on the run since 2016 with the release of “Jewel Case." This punk group's unique sound gives off the vibe of being modernly vintage, especially in their new record “Modern Adult Kicks.” 

According to the lead singer Hayley Crusher, this album is about heartbreak, isolation and addiction. Of course, at the surface level, it seems like this record is nothing but sunshine and rainbows. The band does an excellent job of deceiving the audience by making them think that. 

Album Highlights

“Taboo” - 7/10

The musical aspect of this single is what steals the show. It is reminiscent of 90s punk rock, the guitars giving it that grunge feel. As well as the music video being filmed in and around Detroit, the beginning of the track makes the listener excited for the rest of the half-hour run time of the record. 

Lyrically, this track is well crafted. This song can very well be about addiction to something or someone. In a way, it can be interpreted as it is the addiction to speak rather than the narrator. It gives it an extra layer of depth, and it personifies the addiction to give the narrator power.

“Broken Window” - 7.5/10

“Broken window theory” is the idea that the longer a problem goes unnoticed, the worse it is going to get. Hayley and the Crushers take on this concept within this song, and it is believed to be once again about being infatuated with someone. The narrator is in a relationship that seems to be having problems, but neither party is doing anything about it. It is rather interesting, this topic, because it is not something that is talked about often. 

This California band gives a classic pop-rock undertone to this tune, making it seem like it is a happy topic when in all actuality it is the opposite. There is a point in this song right after the second verse that gives the perfect opportunity for the crowd to have their little dance party. 

“California Sober” - 7/10

It is on this track where the antique-modern hybrid sound comes in. The beginning of the track draws the listener in, already making them dance in their seat. As it goes on, the pop-rock sound comes back, giving it this bubbly feeling. 

Lyrically, this song is very obviously about drug addiction. The content of this song is about how the narrator feels like they have to use drugs to get through the bustle of daily life. This is evident in the lyrics,

“Acid melts the gray of your cubicle madness.” 

Once again, this band has a way of having the audience come for the music, but stay for the lyrical content.

Overview

Hayley and the Crushers are small but mighty, and “Modern Adult Kicks” puts a little bit of pep in your step. Keep an eye on them, because one day they are going to crush the music scene.

Echo Rating: 7 out of 10