EMU women's soccer season finale ends in 2-2 draw against Miami University

Senior Sarah Ash scores late goal to tie match

The Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team battled through its match at Miami University on Thursday, Oct. 27, as the Eagles drew to close out their 2022 season.

To start the match, the Eagles were called for a foul in the box, which gave the Red Hawks a good start to the match as it led to a penalty kick. The shot was saved by junior goalkeeper Rebecca Przybylo, but it led to a rebound which was tapped in by Miami's Mercedes Schroer for the first goal of the game to put the Red Hawks up, 1-0.

The Eagles would answer back late in the first half as sophomore Maddie O’Farrell would find the net with the assist coming from freshman forward Hannah Thompson. The goal marked the team-leading sixth goal of the season for O'Farrell, and the assist from Thompson moved her up to 10 points on the season, making her the third Eastern player to reach the mark in 2022, according to EMUAthletics.

The RedHawks would reclaim their lead with another penalty kick in the second half as Miami's Madeline Schlecht scored it for the Red Hawks to put them up, 2-1.

The Eagles responded once again as senior Sarah Ash scored her second goal of the year and the fifth of her career with an assist from sophomore Vittoria Greco, which marked her team-leading fourth assist on the year.

With the draw, the Eagles finished in a tie for ninth in the MAC standings with the University of Akron as both teams tallied eight points. The tie helped the Eagles to an improved finish over last year as they improved by 4 points overall and 3 points in the conference to move up 2 positions in the standings. Eastern finishes the year with a record of 3-11-4 overall (2-7-2 MAC), while Miami moved to 8-4-6 overall (4-2-5 MAC).

With this being the season finale, you can stay up to date with the Eastern Michigan women's soccer team throughout the year for all the latest, including additions to the roster and spring exhibition match information by visiting EMUEagles.com. You can also follow the team's social channels on Twitter and Instagram @EMUSoccer.