The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

Bones and All

Review: ‘Bones and All’ is a ghastly coming-of-age story

"Bones and All" makes you feel everything.

As I stepped into the theater to watch new horror film “Bones and All," I was prepared to feel disgusted, but I wasn't prepared for how emotional I ended up feeling. This out-of-the-box movie reels viewers in with a new level of disgust, pain, and fear.

Synopsis

A young woman is trying to find herself while fighting her worst urges. Love blossoms between her and a young man as they embark on a journey through the backroads of America. “Bones and All” stars Taylor Russell as Maren Yearly and Timothée Chalamet as Lee.

The movie was directed by Italian filmmaker Luca Guadagnino, known for film “Call Me By Your Name," which Chalamet also stars in.

What I loved

The feeling of the film. I'm not entirely sure how to put this into a category, but this film feels like a breath of fresh air or traveling with the windows down with your hair blowing. The film is set in the 80s and you can tell the time just by looking at the screen. It feels like you’ve been transported in time.

The characters. Maren and Lee really make you feel for them. You understand they’re kids trying to find themselves with a bad hand of cards given to them. Maren's journey especially made me cry, and I didn’t expect that from this film.

What I didn't love

The overall lack of plot. It feels like a lot of information, but it doesn't feel concrete. Most of the points come together in the end, but I still cannot tell you what the plot was in all certainty. It feels like you're supposed to already know what "eaters" are, but you don't, and it feels like a lack of information given.

Obviously the gore. I knew coming into the movie it was a gory, but I truly wasn't prepared for the extent of it. Even if you know what you're getting into, you truly don't. If you plan to see it, be prepared for the unexpected.

Verdict 

If you have a strong stomach, "Bones and All” is a very interesting film that makes you feel very strange things. Even though a lot of things don't feel lined up or finished in the film, the plot is so interesting you can't pull your eyes away.

I give "Bones and All" a 5.5 out of 10.