Nope.jpg

Review: ‘Nope’ is a nerve-wracking sci-fi-thriller

‘Nope’ keeps you guessing and guarded.

If you like suspenseful unique horror thrillers, "Nope” is the film for you. Jordan Peele makes yet another interesting film that you can't peel your eyes away from.

Synopsis

Caretakers at a California horse ranch encounter a mysterious force that affects human and animal behavior. "Nope” stars Daniel Kaluuya as OJ Haywood, Keke Palmer as Emerald Haywood, and Steven Yeun as Ricky.

What I loved 

The sci-fi horror aspect of this film. I’ve never seen a horror movie where you can't pinpoint the main antagonist till the end of the film. Then even when you think you know what or who it is, you still don’t. This film makes its ‘villain’ eerie and suspenseful, and just overall keeps you guessing.

The way everything looks and feels in this film. Truly this film went beyond keeping me on the edge of my seat, I was curled up in a ball in the movie theater recliners. Everything keeps all your senses on guard and is just truly visually captivating. 

What I didn't love

How parts of the film didn't seem important to the plot. It was interesting to see different things take place in the film, but it doesn't seem all that important until we get into the action. We have multiple ‘storylines’ running and they just seem to glide by each other, but not make contact.

You have to think heavily about this film. Now, this plays into my previous point, but you never truly know what the message of this film is. After watching this movie it took various discussions outside the theater and we still couldn't come up with a clear answer. Some people like things to be straightforward, and if that's you this film may not be for you.

Verdict

While the plot seems a bit muddy, the action and suspense of this film make up for it tenfold. If you truly want to question everything you know and absolutely crawl out of your skin, I recommend this film.

I give "Nope" an 8 out of 10.