The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

Track & Field

EMU track and field teams cap off good day in Bowling Green and Ann Arbor

Both teams see seven top-five finishes across all events

The Eastern Michigan University’s men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams competed in two events on Saturday, Jan.14, one at the Falcon Early Bird Invitational in Bowling Green, Ohio, and the other at The Michigan Invitational in Ann Arbor.

At Bowling Green State University's event, both EMU teams finished second in the team standing. The women’s team fell short of BGSU while the men’s scored 109 to place second to the University at Buffalo who finished with 121.

EMU saw seven top-five finishes across eight different events at the Michigan Invitational. Senior Baldvin Magnusson finished in fifth with a time of 3:59.06, beating the previous meet record in the 1-mile event. Magnusson’s time in the meet is good for an Icelandic National Record. 

In Ohio, EMU had junior Kilani Harvey, senior Angel Gazaway, and graduate student Mair Edwards all finish on top. Harvey took a first-place finish with a time of 7:55 seconds in the 60m, which was a personal best. Gazaway placed first in the 200m and in the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.63 seconds, while Edwards won the 400m with a time of 56.0 seconds.

Junior Yvan Lopes Riberio finished with a personal best in the 60m hurdles with a time of 7.79. His time goes down as the seventh-best personal time in EMU history, placing him top 10 among all NCAA performers this season. Riberio was also victorious in the long jump with a 7.43m mark, which was the eighth-best mark in EMU track and field history. 

Senior Almighty Williamson finished with a personal best as well in the preliminary round of the 60m hurdles as his 7.84-second mark etched for ninth all-time while graduate student Newlyn Stephenson took first place with his 22.10m hurl in the weight throw. Stephenson gave EMU its second top-10 NCAA performance of the season. 

Sophomore Brendan Hill was also a winner, as he jumped 2.08m in the high jump while junior Callum Robinson recorded a 21.72 time to win in the 200m race. 

Next up, the EMU men's and women's track and field teams will compete at the University of New Mexico's Team Open on Jan. 27 and 28.

For more information on the Eastern Michigan men's and women's track and field teams, you can visit EMUEagles.com.