The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

images.jpg

Review: Starbucks' holiday menu is back

Starbucks brings back the most wonderful drinks during this time of year. Customers will wait in line for more than 15 minutes for these holiday drinks, I know I do.

Starbucks lines are pretty long at this time of the year, as everyone can get a taste of seasonal cheer with an updated wintertime menu.

In honor of the holidays, Starbucks has brought back their favorite Christmas drinks, including the peppermint mocha and caramel brulee, for all coffee lovers. They have also put their new festive coffee cups for sale in addition to their spectacular Christmas brews.

I tried six of the holiday drinks and here are my thoughts:

Caramel Brulee Latte

Even though this latte doesn't specifically have a seasonal flavor, just one sip will have you in the holiday spirit. With a nearly cinnamon-like taste that bursts through, it brings out all the sweet, rich, and creamy notes of caramel, making the drink overall quite delicious. All of your favorite Christmas treats are combined into one cozy brew. This is classic espresso drink with steamed milk, creamy caramel brulée sauce, whipped cream, and a sprinkle of extra caramel brulée bits.

Chestnut Praline Latte

When it comes to the Christmas lineup, this latte is frequently overlooked, and we can understand why. Although it is sweet and pleasant, its flavors are not particularly distinctive and may be found in various lattes all year long. Customers want this drink to continue, however, we're looking for a festive atmosphere, which this drink lacks significantly. This latte includes adding tastes of burnt chestnuts and spices, followed by signature espresso and smooth steaming milk, and finishing with whipped cream and specially spiced praline crumbs for the season.

Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte

This drink has a festive flavor that gives the sensation that you're eating a sugar cookie. The addition of dairy-free milk was very pleasant and gave the sweet brew a rich flavor. The tastes all worked well together and made me think of holiday baking. This latté is my personal favorite out of all of them since the combination of almond milk and sugar cookie syrup is so delightful. This drink has a blonde espresso and almond milk, topped with red and green sprinkles.

Irish Cold Brew

The combination of the sweet foam and the cold brew coffee made this iced brew ideal. The strong coffee, the creamy foam, and the chocolate and vanilla syrup stood out the most among the many flavors in this drink. Although I'm not a fan of coffee, the taste in this latte genuinely surprised me. It was wonderfully brought together by the sweet, chilly foam on top, which is why I can see why people like it.

Toasted White Chocolate Mocha

While I've always loved Starbucks' white chocolate mocha latte, I was looking forward to trying the frappe edition of this coffee. I wouldn't often choose a milkshake-like beverage in the midst of winter, but I truly like the taste of this festive drink. People adore this drink because it has a sweetness comparable to the sugar cookie latte. Whether it's hot or iced, the sweetness during the holidays creates a pleasant feeling. This drink includes espresso, steamed choice of milk, and white chocolate syrup.

Peppermint Mocha

Last but not least, the peppermint mocha reminds customers of a winter day. I typically prefer vanilla to chocolate, but I was surprised and delighted by how much I enjoyed this drink. However, this was a unique experience. The espresso and milk foam bliss had the perfect balance of mint and mocha. Strangely, peppermint tastes great in hot beverages and is ideal for warming up next to a fire in the winter.