An overview of the 2023 Grammys

On Feb. 5, The 65th annual Grammys took place on CBS network.

The 65th annual Grammy Awards was presented by The Recording Academy and streamed live on Paramount+ and CBS on Feb. 5 at 7 p.m. EST. 

The Grammys, which is known as music's highest honor, recognizes outstanding achievements in the music industry. The award show was hosted by Trevor Noah, and this was his third consecutive year in a row hosting.

The premiere ceremony started at 3:30 p.m. and featured performances by Grammy nominees Arooj Aftab, Madison Cunningham, Samara Joy, Anoushka Shankar, and other performers. The premiere included categories like jazz, rock, gospel, christian music, and more. 

The most notable winners from the premiere ceremony included Viola Davis winning best audiobook, narration, and storytelling, and with this Grammy, completing her EGOT status. 

Lin-Manuel Miranda won best visual media compilation for “Encanto,” Beyoncé won best dance/electronic recording for “Break My Soul,” and Taylor Swift won best music video for “All Too Well: The Short Film.”

Artist Bad Bunny kicked off the Grammys with a performance of a medley of his songs “Un Verano Sin Ti,” “El Apagón,” and “Después De La Playa.” Other performances included Brandi Carlile, Luke Combs, Sam Smith featuring Kim Petras, Mary J. Blige, Lizzo, Harry Styles, and Steve Lacy. Stevie Wonder also took the stage to sing three of his classic songs and duet with Smokey Robinson and Chris Stapleton. 

The Grammys also dedicated a section to honor the musicians we lost in 2022. Kacey Musgraves, Quavo and Maverick City Music, Sheryl Crow, Bonnie Raitt, and Mick Fleetwood took to the stage and gave tribute to these artists through their musical talents. 

The most notable winners are Harry Styles winning album of the year, Lizzo winning record of the year, Bonnie Raitt winning song of the year, Adele winning best pop solo performance, Sam Smith and Kim Petras winning best pop duo performance, and Kendrick Lamar winning best rap album.

Beyoncé had an eventful night as well. She now holds the record for the most Grammy wins, totaling 32. She won best dance/electronic album and recording, best R&B song, and best R&B performance, scoring her a total of four Grammys this year.

The 50th anniversary of hip-hop was also celebrated through a Questlove-curated medley, while DJ Khaled ended the night with John Legend, Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, and Fridayy singing their song “God Did.”

Many awards were given out during the Grammys. To see the full list, you can head to grammy.com. If you missed the live show, you can head to live.grammy.com to watch acceptance speeches and performances, or you can catch the full show on Paramount+.