EMU track and field competes in three meets across weekend

23 Eagles earned top 10 finishes at the Spartan Invitational.

The Eastern Michigan University men's and women's track and field team competed at the Texas Relays on March 29-April 1, the Bobcat Invitational on March 30-April 1, and the Spartan Invitational on March 31-April 1.

At the Texas Relays, four Eagles posted top 10 finishes, with three coming from athletes on the men's roster and one from the women’s.

Yvan Lopes Riberio (Nice, France) ran a 13.77 in the 110m hurdles, the fourth-fastest time in school history earning him first place in the event.

On the women’s side, Angel Gazaway (Cincinatti, Ohio) recorded a top finish in the 100m hurdles with a time of 13.58, which ranks sixth all-time in EMU history.

At the Bobcat Invitational four women and three men recorded top finishes with Miranda Cadwell's (Plainfield, Ill.) third place finish in the shot put event being the highest finish of the meet from the Eagles. 

Greece native Noriyah Johnson (54.77) and Serbia native Tijana Japundzic (58.68) also recorded personal best times in the 400m dash at the meet.

To conclude the trio of meets 13 men and 10 women representing the block E earned top 10 finishes at the Spartan Invitational.

Linus Vennemann’s (Osnabrück, Lower Saxony, Germany) 9:20.62 run earned him a first place finish in the 3,000m steeplechase and teammate Eddie Zuercher 9:21.65 (Rocky River, Ohio) followed to finish in second.

Newlyn Stephenson (Gary, Ind.) improved his standing to third all-time in program history with a throw of 65.90m earning him first place in the hammer throw at the meet.

Next, the Eagles will travel to Oakland University to compete at the Golden Grizzlies Invite April 8.

For more in depth information on EMU’s track and field program listen to weekly episodes of TheBlockE Podcast.