Logan Hugo notches career-high in home runs as the Eagles fall 1-2 in weekend series with BGSU

The Eagles drop both games on Saturday to lose weekend series

The Eastern Michigan University men’s baseball team (16-17, 6-12 MAC) traveled to Bowling Green, Ohio, for a three game series over the weekend with Bowling Green State University (13-19, 8-10 MAC) as the Eagles went 1-2 against the Falcons with a win on Friday and then two losses coming on Saturday. 

Game two on Saturday, the last of the weekend series, marked the 188th all-time meeting between EMU and BGSU, with the Eagles leading the all-time series over the Falcons, 111-77. 

In game one on Friday, BGSU would start the game off hot as they produced an early 3-0 lead before the Eagles would respond back with a three-run frame in the second inning. Sophomore Logan Hugo (Essexville, Michigan) highlighted those runs as he hit a two-run home run. 

The Eagles would add another run to their score after the Falcons would go up 4-3 as senior Glenn Miller (Pentwater, Michigan) would hit a one-run home run. The Eagles would then extend their lead to 5-4 in the sixth inning as Hugo would hit another home run for his second on the day. 

BGSU would once again add another run to take the lead, 6-5, but the Eagles would answer back in the ninth inning. After scoring two runs, a single hit for an RBI from junior Darren Kraft (Mount Pleasant, South Carolina) would seal the deal for the Eagles as they picked up the win, 8-6. 

Senior Thomas House (Ross, Ohio) started the ball game on the mound for the Eagles as he threw six innings and allowed only one run on four hits and striking out six. Junior Jagger Jeffries would come out the bullpen and earn the win for EMU as he threw two innings and allowed three hits. 

Hugo led the Eagles at the plate as he went 2-for-4 with two home runs and three RBIs. Senior Taylor Hopkins was also productive at the plate as he went 3-for-5 with a double and two RBIs, and Miller as well as he chipped one home run and RBI. 

To kick off game two on Saturday, EMU jumped out with a lead early as they earned a run off of sophomore Josh Kross’ (Brunswick, Ohio) solo home run. This marked his ninth home run on the year, as he now leads his team in that category. 

BGSU would then take the lead as they earned a 5-1 advantage before EMU would score three runs in the third inning as a two-RBI double from Hopkins cut the deficit, 5-4. In the fourth inning, the Eagles would extend their lead, 7-5, as a two-RBI double would give them two of their three runs in the frame. 

The Falcons would end up erupting to regain their lead, 11-7, as the Eagles would score twice in the ninth inning to cut their deficit to 11-9, but it wasn’t enough as BGSU held on to win. 

In game three of the series on Saturday, BGSU continued their momentum as they produced a big 8-0 lead before the Eagles would put up five runs in the fourth inning to make it 8-5. 

BGSU would add another run to expand their lead, but EMU wasn’t fading away as they added a run of their own in the fifth inning behind Kraft’s solo home run to cut the deficit, 9-6. 

The Falcons added to their lead as they held a 13-6 advantage before EMU scored two runs in the ninth inning. It wouldn’t be enough though, as BGSU would take the win over the Eagles, 13-8. 

Kraft would lead the Eagles at the plate in the second meeting on Saturday as he went 2-for-4 with a home run and an RBI with junior Cory Taylor (Shelbyville, Indiana) going 2-for-4 as well with a double and two RBIs. 

Next up, the Eagles will return to Ypsilanti, Michigan, for a battle with the Akron Zips. The game will be played at Oestrike Stadium on Tuesday, April 18, at 3 p.m. 

For more information on the EMU men’s baseball team, you can listen to “TheBlockE Podcast” for updates on all EMU athletics.