never enough daniel caesar.jpeg

Review: Daniel Caesar finds success in third project "NEVER ENOUGH"

Daniel Caesar teams up with Ty Dolla $ign, Omar Apollo, Justine Skye and more for his third project "NEVER ENOUGH."

Toronto singer Ashton Simmonds, better known as Daniel Caesar, has been one of the biggest and most controversial names in R&B for years now; attracting millions of fans due to songs like “Best Part” and “Get You,” but also turning many away due to ill-mannered comments on social media.

Now, after almost four years since the release of his sophomore album “CASE STUDY 01,” he is ready to open up with his newest project “NEVER ENOUGH.”

Album Highs

It is always great to watch an artist develop and refine their sound. On “NEVER ENOUGH,” Caesar’s songwriting seems to reach new heights as his verses focus on the themes of time, religion, overthinking, and loss of innocence. The topics themselves make this album refreshing as many artists are now copying and pasting the theme of toxic relationships.

While the album has the angelic falsetto and gospel-inspired soul that fans are so used to, Caesar also leaves room to experiment. Tracks like “Cool” favor Frank Ocean’s "Blonde" vocal effects while other songs like "Shot My Baby” seem to be Caesar’s take on D'Angelo's “Shit, Damn, M**********r.”

Every decision on this album was meticulously thought out; from the guest artists like serpentwithfeet, the additional writers such as Raphael Saadiq, or the producers like Sir Dylan, who himself has had his hands all over this project.

“NEVER ENOUGH” is cohesive and keeps the listener's attention all 55 minutes.

Album Lows

There is not much not to like about “NEVER ENOUGH.” All songs are either solid performance-wise or some of his best work to date.

A complaint about the album is his use of features when compared to his past work. Though artists like Sabrina Claudio, Omar Apollo, and Justine Skye appear on the album, they have small roles, which was not the case for “Freudian.” For instance, “Buyer's Remorse" features Omar Apollo and only gives him around 30 seconds and four lines to shine.

Besides that, the only other faults on this album would be “Cool” and “Pain Is Inevitable” sounding too similar to Frank Ocean.

Summary

This may be his best album, at the very least giving “Freudian” a run for its money. With potential radio hits like “Do You Like Me?” while also having potential deep cuts like “Homiesexual” and “Toronto 2014,” this album is Caesar at his peak.

The album gets better with every listen and is already in discussion with being one of the best projects of this year.

I give “NEVER ENOUGH," a rating of 9 out of 10.

Best Songs:

"Always"

"Shot My Baby"

"Homiesexual"