The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

Shved improves to team-best 11-2 in singles play against Ball State

The Eagles fell short to the Cardinals on Friday, 5-2.

The Eastern Michigan University tennis team (6-8, 3-6 MAC) traveled to Muncie, Indiana on Friday, April 21, to face off against Ball State University (19-3, 8-1 MAC) as the Cardinals squeaked by the Eagles for the win, 5-2. 

The Eagles started the day with doubles, as the number one pair of Prerna Vichare (Mumbai, India) and Sabrina Brichackova (Cheb, Czech Republic) played very tough but were unable to finish the match as doubles play was halted with Ball State in the lead, 6-5. 

In the number 2 and number 3 positions, EMU would show their competitiveness but ultimately fell short in both slots, 6-4. 

In singles play, the Eagles would find their rhythm. Freshman Daniella Shved (Holon, Israel) was stellar as she won her match in straight sets at the number two spot. Shved would win her first one, 6-3, and then would win a second-set tiebreak, 7-4, to secure the win. 

Briachackova would join Shved as a singles winner at the No. 4 spot in a very close match, winning the first set, 6-4, before losing the second. Briachackova would go on to play the third set as a super tiebreaker, winning 10-7. 

Next up, the Eastern Michigan University tennis team will close out its 2023 season as they travel to Buffalo, New York, with a match against the University at Buffalo on Sunday, April 23, at 1 p.m.

More: EMU tennis' Zhang and Shved pick up wins in loss to NIU

More: EMU track and field saw 17 athletes post top-five finishes at Golden Grizzlies Invite

For more information on EMU athletics, you can listen to “TheBlockE Podcast” weekly for updates and in-depth information.