EMU tennis' Zhang and Shved pick up wins in loss to NIU

Zhang and Shved finished No. 2 in doubles and wins in singles.

The Eastern Michigan University tennis team (5-6, 2-4 MAC) fell short, 4-3, in the match against the Northern Illinois University Huskies, on April 7, inside the Chippewa Club.

The Eagles scored the first point winning two of the three doubles matches. Prenrna Vicharre (Mumbai, India) and Sabina Brichackova (Cheb, Czech Republic) were the No. 1 duo winning, 6-4. The pair was tied at four games a piece but claimed the final set without surrendering a point. This is their second win as a team.

Wanyi Zhang and Daniella Shved claimed No. 2 in the contest as they played one game for their miraculous win, 6-1. The pair continues to be the best in the MAC as they are 7-2 with the new win.  

Read more: EMU tennis fall short, 6-4 at hands of Western Michigan

Zhang (Beijing, China) saw success in the contest taking No. 3 in the singles match. Zhang quickly picked up the win in the first set with, 6-3, breaking a tie in the second set, 7-3, and grabbing the win, 7-5.

Zhang's incredible performance records four consecutive singles victories, marking the longest winning streak for the Eagles of the 2023 season. Shved followed behind in the No.4 spot, winning straight sets, 6-2, 6-2.

EMU was unable to pick up the fourth point, concluding a back-to-back loss for the Eagles. 

Up next, the Eagles will compete against NIU on Friday, April 14, in Dekalb, Illinois, at 12 p.m. CT.

For more information on all EMU Athletics, listen to weekly episodes of The Block E podcast.