IMG-0506.jpg

Off-campus study spots near EMU

Want to venture outside of EMU to study? Here are five places near campus to do so.

Eastern Michigan University not only provides study spaces for students on its campus, but there are many study spots surrounding the campus too. From cafes to libraries, here are 5 study spots a student can venture outside of campus for when in need of a change of scenery.

1. Cross Street Coffee

With a 15-minute walk from EMU, Cross Street Coffee is located at 317 W Cross St. It is known on Cross St. for not only its coffee, but also a study spots for students. They offer a variety of coffee flavors and treats. Its small space allows for a cozy and comfortable environment. 

Hours: Monday - Friday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 7p.m. 

2. Ann Arbor District Library

Ypsilanti’s district library is currently closed. But no worries, students can still venture to Ann Arbor’s District Library located at 343 S 5th Ave. In addition to its books, magazines, music, and video, AADL offers musical instruments, art, board games, puzzles, art prints, giant games, and more at checkout. Want a quick break from studying? This might be the place to go.

Hours: Sunday - Saturday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

3. Cafe Liv

Located at 202 N Washington St. in Ypsilanti, Cafe Liv offers coffee, pastries, and sourdough bread for its customers. Studying while you eat isn’t a foreign thing to do in this restaurant with all the food options it offers. 

Hours: Sunday - Saturday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

4. Sweetwaters Coffee & Tea

Sweetwaters Coffee & Tea is a 10-minute walking distance from EMU’s campus. Located at 735 W Cross St, it provides long tables for multiple students, such as study groups, to sit at. Sweetwaters also offers live music. If a student is lucky they might just catch a performance. When the weather is warm, students can choose to sit outside. 

Hours: Monday - Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. 

5. The Common Cup 

The Common Cup is located at 1511 Washtenaw Ave in Ann Arbor. It offers a wide range of coffee, tea, smoothies, and bagels. Its wide and open space provides its customers a variety of seating options to sit down and study. 

Hours: With the exception of Friday, The Common Cup Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.