IMG_6635.jpg

EMU to "Paint It Green" for its 2023 Homecoming

Eastern Michigan University’s 102nd homecoming is here with students, faculty, and staff joining together in celebration. Events are set to run all week beginning on Monday, Oct. 2, and ending on Saturday, Oct. 7. On the final day of EMU's homecoming, the EMU football team will take on Ball State at Rynearson Stadium.

Monday, Oct. 2 kicks off EMU's homecoming lineup with a picnic at University Park. Other events throughout the week include a Green and White Family Feud, Black Alumni Mixer, Shirt Swap & Build an Eagle, Trap Karaoke, Black Homecoming Cookout, and a Yard Show.

New events to attend this year include Revel at the REC on Wednesday, Oct. 4 from 3-7 p.m. and the Joyelle Nicole Johnson feat Sohrab Forouzesh Comedy Show on Friday, Oct. 6 at 8 p.m. in Pease Auditorium.

This year, EMU’s 2023 homecoming committee decided on the theme “Paint It Green.” This theme is set to remain EMU’s official homecoming theme for years to come. 

“We wanted something timeless that we could build upon,” said Celia Murkowski, EMU's Homecoming Committee co-chair, Director of Alumni Engagement and EMU alumnus.

EMU’s homecoming committee is diverse, with alumni, students, faculty, and staff all serving as members. There is also a sub-committee dedicated to Black homecoming events. Committees began their planning during the early winter to plan a homecoming to remember. By mid-summer “Paint It Green” was a go. The committee held no official vote as all members were on board with the theme. 

The team looked to EMU’s past in search of themes that succeeded and discussed possible new themes. 2016’s “Paint the Town Green” was the initial inspiration for the new semi-permanent theme.

From 1995’s “E-Motion!" to 2022’s “Where It All Started," EMU has focused on bringing the university's community together to create long-lasting memories and show off their EMU pride. 

EMU is unique as their homecoming is not only marketed towards alumni, but also to the students who will soon be alumni themselves. EMU’s homecoming committee aims to increase student engagement by listening to student feedback and incorporating their interests into the traditional homecoming programming. 

“I haven’t missed a homecoming since the late '90s,” said Lucas Langdon, Homecoming Committee Co-Chair, Director of Campus Life, and EMU alumnus. “It’s a special time for me as an alum to reconnect with the people who made a big difference in my life.”

Homecoming Committee Co-Chairs Murkowski and Langdon encourage students to take advantage of the various opportunities to get out and get involved during this year’s homecoming celebration. They hope that students will make the most of their college experience and look forward to “coming home” as alumni. 

“The moment you start hearing the words 'Paint It Green,' understand that homecoming is on its way,” Murkowski said.

For more information on EMU's 2023 homecoming events, visit EMU's website for the week's lineup.