EMU's Digital Center for Digital Engagement hosts annual workshop on Nov. 17

Director and Event Host Bud Gibson Shares Importance of AI Literacy

On Friday, Nov. 17 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Eastern Michigan University’s Center for Digital Engagement will host its 13th annual Digital Marketing Workshop, this year's theme will be titled, “The Age of AI.” 

This workshop will include multiple speakers, two-panel discussions, and a lunch panel summarizing the event. Speakers include Chris Prucha, founder of Origin and co-founder of Notion a productivity software, Bilal Saeed, vice president of marketing and brand strategy for the Detroit Pistons, Nick Woods, account strategist for Google, Ryan Redoute, a video content creator, and more speakers throughout.    

"The main thing is that they'll be equipped with tactics they can adapt to their own context—whether they're a one-person operation or part of a bigger team. It's about making a real impact with the resources they have,” Jennifer Hayman, one of the workshop’s moderators said.

Gibson, who is also a professor at EMU, has written his papers on the growth and versatility of AI and has implemented the technology into his classroom.

"Machine learning specifically, to better understand human decision-making. It’s interesting to see those ideas starting to find practical applications. More recently, I have been introducing AI tools in my classes to help with digital advertising and website creation," Gibson said.

AI technology such as Chat GPT, AI Modeling, and AI Assistance have already proven beneficial to the working world from assisting students in creating and improving written work to helping professionals navigate customer issues with more ease and reliability. Gibson believes that people should come to the event so they can be better informed about the AI technology that is constantly growing. 

"AI is already proving itself a powerful productivity tool for all sorts of workers. AI assistants are speeding up computer coding and making it accessible for non-experts," Gibson said. "There are AI translation agents that can translate in real-time, making communication easier. AI is shaping how all online tools interact with us."

However, Gibson does understand the fear that many people express towards this technology.

"To me, the main danger is that people tend to assume something that’s interacting with them is human if it seems human. Current AI is good enough that it can often seem human. As a result, people can start to invest trust and emotion into interactions that are not real. The major AI vendors are trying to make it crystal clear that you are not interacting with a human. But still, there’s a real potential for abuse," Gibson said.

To learn more about the event visit the Digital Marketing Workshop’s website. Tickets are currently on sale for $30 and will remain available until Nov. 17.

"I'm hoping attendees can take away two things from this workshop. One would be to learn more about AI and the different uses that various industries are getting out of it. The other would be to take away their own inspiration from all of the speakers' backgrounds and knowledge. AI is an extremely powerful tool and when properly harnessed, can unlock a lot of really cool outcomes. From getting email template ideas to planning a five-day vacation in New York City, the potential is limitless," Woods said.