mcantrell_20231104_1932.jpg

The Michigan Firehouse Museum to celebrate 25th Anniversary With The Fireman’s Ball

The Michigan Firehouse Museum and Education Center is celebrating its 25th anniversary with a Fireman’s Ball on Saturday, Nov. 11 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the museum. The Fireman’s Ball is not only a fundraiser for the museum, but a fun event where all, members and the general public, are welcome. The dress code is “boots, black ties, and bling.”

A ticket to the event will include light food and beverages, live music, and local entertainment. About halfway through the Fireman’s Ball, a new, record-breaking exhibit will be unveiled and at the end, a toast to the museum will be made. 

Fundraisers to support the Michigan Firehouse Museum and Education Center have been held in the past, such as the annual Muster at Riverside Park and chili cookoffs. The Fireman’s Ball has a deep history among local fire departments and Dave Egeler, director of operations, thought it was time the museum hosted one as it is its 25th anniversary. If the event is well received, making the Fireman’s Ball an annual event will be discussed. 

“The museum is one of the premier fire museums in the country and it just so happens to be in Ypsilanti’s backyard,” Egeler said.

Since 1998, the Michigan Firehouse Museum, now called the Michigan Firehouse Museum and Education Center, has aimed to collect and preserve firefighting history and now provides education about fire safety and that history. The museum contains numerous exhibits, both historic and educational, featuring antique firetrucks, 5 interactive exhibits including a kids’ play area, and much more.

“All of our trucks that are on display actually run,” Dan Egeler, president of the board of directors, said. This is one of the many things that sets the museum apart from other fire museums in the country. 

Brothers, Dave and Dan Egeler have a strong passion for antique firetrucks and equipment. Together, they own 10 antique firetrucks. 

Not only does the Michigan Firehouse Museum and Education Center serve the Ypsilanti community by preserving fire history and providing fire safety education, but it also aims to serve the Ypsilanti community in other meaningful ways. 

“We pride ourselves in being a partner in Ypsilanti by making space available,” Dan Egeler said. 

This holiday season, the museum is partnering with the Secret Santa Society of Ypsilanti by opening up its doors and providing a space for the volunteers to collect donations and wrap presents to deliver to Ypsilanti families.

For more information about the Michigan Firehouse Museum and Education Center visit their website, and to purchase tickets for the Fireman’s Ball click here.