MLK EMU Men's Basketball Game v. Ball State

Eagle Sports Tips and Tales

From record breakers to win-loss tallies, Eagle athletes stay on the move. Whatever their goals, or obstacles, keep tabs on the tallies with The Eastern Echo’s Eagle Tips and Tales.

EMU Athletics officially opens GameAbove Golf Performance Center 

Cut the Ribbon! 

The Eastern Michigan University golf program will have a new place to test the green as a ribbon-cutting ceremony was held on Tuesday, Jan. 16, at the brand new GameAbove Golf Performance Center. 

The new facility located at Eagle Crest Golf Club comes from an $8 million gift from GameAbove that includes locker rooms, meeting spaces, indoor putting and chipping greens, and cutting-edge simulators to stand as a training environment and contributor to elevate athletes’ game. 

GameAbove is a team of EMU alumni who give back to the University's community and athletic programs. Over the years, GameAbove has donated more than $30 million to the University. This project was dedicated to longtime EMU golf coach Bruce Cunningham. 

EMU officially started construction of the facility on Sept. 30, 2022, after it was approved by EMU’s Board of Regents on Dec. 13, 2019. 

EMU men’s and women’s hoops suffer losses in Athens, Ohio

Trouble in Athens. 

Both the Eastern Michigan University men’s and women’s basketball programs took losses on Saturday, Jan. 20, in Athens, Ohio, to Ohio University. 

The men’s squad would fall to the Bobcats, 85-67, as the Eagles fell to 8-10 on the season, while Ohio improved to 9-9 overall. 

Junior guard Tyson Acuff (Detroit, Mich.) finished with a game-high 30 points for the Eagles, as it marked his sixth career game with 30+ points. 

Shooting was the difference maker for the Bobcats as they shot 31-of-55 (56.4%) from the field and 11-of-23 (47.8%) from deep while the Eagles went 26-of-63 (41.3%) from the field and 5-of-19 (26.3%) from three-point range. 

As for the women’s team, they would fall to the Bobcats, 72-62, as they now sit at 5-11 on the season while Ohio improved to 5-11 overall. 

Senior center Kennedi Myles (Cincinnati, Ohio) finished the game with a double-double as she notched 16 points and 11 rebounds. It marked her 13th career double-double. 

Next up, the EMU women’s basketball team will travel to Kent, Ohio, for a date with the Kent State Golden Flashes on Wednesday, Jan. 24, at 7 p.m. while the men’s team will take on intrastate rival Western Michigan on Tuesday, Jan. 23, at 7 p.m. 

EMU tennis suffers loss to Northwestern in 2024 season opener 

The Eastern Michigan University tennis team opened up its 2024 campaign on Saturday, Jan. 20, in Evanston, Ill., as they took on Northwestern University inside the Combe Tennis Center. 

The Eagles would drop the season opener by a 7-0 decision as they now fell to 0-1 on the season while Northwestern improved to 3-0 overall. 

The Wildcats would earn wins in the No. 1 and No. 2 matches as they took the doubles points, while EMU’s Daniella Shved (Holon, Israel) and Andrea Quiroz (Lima, Peru) would tie the Wildcats, 4-4, in the No. 3 match. 

Singles wouldn’t go the way the Eagles had hoped as the Wildcats would take all six matches to claim a 7-0 win on the day. 

Saturday’s dual marked the first for the Eagles under first-year head coach Ryan Kucera.