HASO photo

Spotlight: Health Administration Student Organization

For over 41 years, the Health Administration Student Organization (HASO) at Eastern Michigan University has worked to help students understand the value of healthcare. 

All of HASO’s events coincide with their mission to promote healthcare administration through education, public awareness, advocacy, and public service to the EMU community. As of right now, the organization is focused on rebuilding and re-branding HASO to EMU students. While HASO was founded in 1983, the organization’s membership numbers were affected due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“Health administration is not as known, so I feel that bringing new things to the table is definitely more intriguing to students,” LeAndre Brown, president of HASO, said. “The business side of healthcare is not talked about as well, I think bringing different aspects of different healthcare fields; definitely improves our standout.” 

One of HASO’s events currently in the works is their collaboration event in March with the Midwest Chapter of the American College of Healthcare Executives (MCACHE). 

The mission of MCACHE is to be the lead in professional membership for healthcare executives. Their goals include promoting and conducting high ethical standards, advancing leadership and management in healthcare, and promoting their missions.

“They serve as a role model for healthcare students as well as provide management skills,” Brown said. 

Brown and the rest of HASO’s executive board are focused on bringing more attention to what the organization has to offer EMU students. From workshops to career networking, the organization hopes to have everyone take something important from everything they do.

“You do not have to be a health administration major to join… The only requirement is to be an Eastern Michigan student and to want to see HASO grow,” Brown said. 

To stay up to date on all of HASO’s events coming up, follow them on TikTok and Instagram @haso_emu