COB partners with Crain's Detroit

The College of Business has partnered with Crain’s Detroit Business to introduce “Business Education Minute.”

Eastern Michigan University will be using Detroit’s Multimedia Services to make videos about how to be successful in business such as how to “communicate in a crisis” or use Twitter to keep clients updated about business.

“Business Education Minute is important because we work with business executives and entrepreneurs every day who are seeking strategies for success,” David Mielke, College of Business dean, said in a press release.

EMU is recognized nationally for excellence in the field of education. According to Pamela Young, director of communications, one of every four teachers in Michigan and one percent of all educational personnel in the country earn at least one degree from Eastern.

“Eastern Michigan is the pre-eminent university for training teachers in Michigan’s classrooms and the experts on early child development and academic preparation,” Young said.

Eastern was chosen by The Princeton Review as one of the nation’s most outstanding business schools in 2009 for the sixth consecutive year.

The COB will continue to build on its brand of innovative, applied and global programs while developing new ones, Mielke said.

This is not EMU’s first time creating videos for an Internet site to be watched for the general public. Last year, Eastern partnered with WXYZ-TV for a video segment that focused on many topics, including how to be successful in business. Some other topics covered include math, science, reading and writing.

EMU has also worked with WWJ-AM 950 since 2008 to create “Education Minute.” Education Minute airs daily at 9:22 a.m., 12:23 p.m., 5:40 p.m. and 9:53 p.m.

On Mondays the program discusses math while technology is the focus on Tuesday, writing and reading on Wednesdays, science on Thursday and learning beyond the walls on Friday. Each week features a different age group which allows everyone from kindergartners to college students to be able to learn and gain knowledge from the videos.

Both “Business Education Minute” and the partnership with WXYZ-TV are beneficial for EMU and the surrounding community. The videos will provide people with knowledge and education on how to do business successfully.

Students can learn how to strengthen their communication and conflict resolution skills. Teachers can get up-to-date information about teaching practices, materials and techniques. Parents can better connect with their child’s teacher and effectively discuss educational goals and achievements.

These videos will make the answers of how to be successful in business available to more people. The videos can be watched on Crain’s website, www.crainsdetroit.com, or the videos can be streamed onto iTunes and watched on an iPod.