EMU theatre prepares to perform “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee,” a musical that highlights the drama that comes with competition.

EMU theatre holds spelling bee musical

Eastern Michigan University Theatre has had a pretty interesting year. They started with a production of “Hamlet,” starring two Hamlets. Next came the kid, and kid at heart, “Pippi Longstocking.” January brought the drama “Night Blooming” and February had the classic “Rocky Horror Show.”

For those who thought the dramatic Intimate Apparel was the cap on the year, they thought wrong. “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee,” a comedic musical, opens at 7 p.m. June 3.

This Tony Award-winning play, directed by Ken Stevens, follows the six kids who are competing in this year’s bee as they deal with not just spelling the words, but surviving school (and puberty) as well.

The play also follows three grown-ups who get wrapped up in the drama of the event: a former bee champion, a counselor and a vice principal.

At this performance, the actors aren’t the only ones who get to try their hand at competition.

If you come by the theatre before the show, you can try to define some hard and hilarious words, with the prizes ranging from snacks to future performance tickets.

The actors also pull four audience members on stage to compete against them to see who can out-smart (and out-spell) who.
The show is sure to be a blast for anybody who remembers what it’s like to be at the awkward age where things like winning a spelling bee meant everything.

Performances are at 7 p.m. June 3,4,9, 10 and 11 and at 3 p.m. June 5 in Quirk’s Sponberg theatre.

Tickets are available at the Convocation Center or the Quirk Box Office or you can call (734) 487 2282 to get your tickets by phone. They are $12 for students and $15 for regular admission.