EMU women's basketball defeats Wyoming in first game of 2012

A record-tying 18 rebounds from Olivia Fouty helped boost the Eastern Michigan University women’s basketball team to a 65-43 win over the University of Wyoming on Jan. 2 inside the Convocation Center.

The game started off in favor of the Eagles as they took an 11-0 lead over the Cowlgirls in the first three minutes, but the Cowgirls tied the score halfway through the first half, 13-13. Fouty was a big help with 14 rebounds in the first half to push the Eagles into the lead at halftime, 32-15.

In the second half, both teams climbed slowly up in points, though the Eagles lead hardly faltered. Tavelyn James was able to hit a couple of three-pointers to put the lead out of reach.

The Eagles had to look out for Chaundra Swell who scored 24 points for the Cowgirls and grabbed four rebounds. EMU was able to obtain their season-low in shots allowed during this game.

James was the high scorer of the game with 27 points. Paige Redditt was able to sink 10 points for the Eagles and Taylor Bird helped out with five points.

Fouty ended the game with 18 rebounds, which blew past her previous record of 10 rebounds and tied the team record for this season. The Eagles demolished the Cowgirls where rebounds were concerned as they grabbed a total of 54 and Wyoming only brought down 28 rebounds.

Coach AnnMarie Gilbert was able to push the Eagles to start off the new year with a big win. The Eagles begin their Mid-American Conference season on Jan. 5 when they play in Munice, Indiana against Ball State University. The game begins at 7 p.m.