Confirmed shooting occurs near campus

A confirmed shooting has occurred on Jarvis Street and Lowell Street near Eastern Michigan University’s campus according to members within EMU’s Department of Public Safety. Police are advising people to avoid the area until further notice while police agencies investigate the situation.

Bob Heighes, interim EMU Police Chief, said three people were shot. None of them were EMU students or faculty members and none were fatally wounded. Heighes said the gunman is not on campus.

There were multiple ambulances and countless police cars on the scene and at least two fire trucks. Police blocked off part of the area while they searched.

EMU student Andre White saw part of the ordeal unfold and helped one of the victims.

White said he and his stepfather were pulling up along Jarvis Street on his way to Downing Hall when he saw two men running out of the parking lot of Eagle Nest Apartments.

White said one of the men was yelling he had been shot. White and his stepfather pulled over and let the man lay down in the back of the car.

“It was pretty scary,” White said. “I wasn’t sure if he was going to die in the back of the car.”

White called 911 and police arrived quickly on the scene. When the ambulance arrived, they took the victim out of White’s car and put him on a stretcher.

White said the young man looked to be in his 20s and it appeared he was shot in the abdomen.

The suspect has been described as a black male, wearing a baggy shirt, blue jeans and a red baseball cap. The suspect has a scraggly beard and pierced ears.

The Ypsilanti Police Department said the subject has been identified by the Ypsilanti Police Department but he is still at large.