US NEWS PARKS-GUNS 2 FR

US citizens cannot be trusted with guns

After the tragedy at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., many public figures have come out on the side of expanding gun control. Allowing law-abiding citizens to take affirmative actions in their own defense will do nothing more than endanger the citizens around them, because even the most educated individuals are too irresponsible to make good decisions.

Though The Atlantic reported in a Nov. 28 article that gun permit holders have a lower crime rate than the general population, that is a statistical fluke.

The government needs to be the sole provider of our safety, because we all know it is an extremely wise and responsive organization. Our politicians will always make quick, outstanding decisions solving any problem we face—look at how well they solved our budget deficit.

Gov. Rick Snyder recently vetoed a bill that would have allowed concealed pistol license holders with extra training to carry concealed firearms in places such as schools, universities and stadiums.

Therefore, in order to ensure the safety of the campus community, Eastern Michigan University should form a political action committee. This group would lobby for the use of pacifist principles in order to maintain campus safety.

A number of initiatives from the group could include lobbying for the tightening of gun restrictions, helping the university shield students from danger by placing “gun-free zone” signs around the perimeter of campus and providing every student with a bulletproof vest.

The group would also make sure that all EMU police officers are armed with bundles of $100 bills to get armed criminals off campus without endangering other students. They could hold seminars on how to survive an armed conflict by effectively groveling and looking as weak as possible while surrendering whatever the assailant desires.

The group could fundraise by selling self-defense packs, which would help students survive in the dangerous world we live in. The packs would include a “no weapon zone” sign, a “crime-free zone” sign, an envelope in which to surrender your cash during a robbery and a book of nonaggressive phrases guaranteed to keep you safe 99 percent of the time.

However, I doubt campus residents would need such things because we all know that it is impossible for a criminal to carry a firearm into a gun-free zone, despite the recent tragedies in gun-free zones.

The War on Drugs and Prohibition have proven that banning something we don’t like is the best way to discourage its use. Society’s best option is to disarm as many law-abiding citizens as possible—that is the only way government can get total control of the country.

Even though 45 percent of all break-ins in the United Kingdom (which severely limits guns) occur while the victim is in the home, as opposed to 13 percent in the United States, we all know that America is a very different place.

The best way to react to crime in the U.S. is to make sure that victims do not have a hand in preventing it. And the only way to ensure this, as well as the freedom our forefathers fought and died for, is to disarm our populace.