Resolution to impeach Norfleet withdrawn

Eastern Michigan University Student Government Speaker of the Senate, Leo Cartier, brought a resolution to the Senate floor Jan. 29 calling for the impeachment of Student Body President Matthew Norfleet.

Cartier introduced the resolution during the Student Senate’s normal meeting, which Student Government Director of Communications Benjamin Elmgren said was allowable within the Student Government bylaws but was not normal procedure.

Cartier’s resolution, which was supported by Senator Matthew
Ventura, said Norfleet had:

• Failed to uphold the duties of his office
• Failed to uphold the Oath of Office and Code of Conduct
• Misled the Senate in advising financial matters
• Failed to uphold the Eastern Michigan University Creed
• Failed to uphold the principles of professionalism,
fairness and leadership

The resolution closed with, “Be it resolved, Student Body President R. Matthew Norfleet’s position shall be vacated immediately.”

After the resolution was brought to the floor, the discussion was moved into a closed executive session. If the resolution had been passed, Norfleet would have been removed from office immediately.

After a three-hour discussion, a vote to table the issue indefinitely failed to pass, but a vote to return to the resolution at a later date was passed.

In a Feb. 3 statement, Student Government announced after further investigation and discussion between Norfleet and Cartier, the resolution was withdrawn by Cartier.

While Elmgren said the Senate meeting minutes are a matter of public record, he said the minutes would not be released until Student Government had approved them at their next meeting, which is Feb. 12 at 6:30 p.m. in Room 342 of the Student Center.

However, Elmgren said even then the names of the senators participating in the discussion might be redacted from the minutes depending on what Student Government Judicial Sergeant Bradley Arnold determines the Robert’s Rules of Order say the situation calls for.

Student Body Vice President Desmond Miller said he had no comment at this time, and recommended speaking about the matter with Norfleet, who will be meeting with The Eastern Echo prior to his State of the Student Body Address Monday.

Elmgren said he was pleased with Student Government’s ability to negotiate during the impeachment resolution discussions, and for coming to an amicable agreement to withdraw the resolution.