News Briefs

Celebrate German-American Day—

A German-American Day celebration will be held on Monday, Oct. 7 at the Eastern Michigan University Student Center. The event will take place from 4-7 p.m.

According to an article from the Division of Communications Department, this will be the ninth annual event promoting German-American Day, and the event is free. During the celebration, people can meet members of the EMU German Club and experience an authentic Berlin dinner.

The event is open to the public.

Charter One for ‘Cards from Destiny’ program—

Eastern Michigan University’s Destiny Eadie has been awarded the Charter One TruFit Good Citizen Scholarship from the Charter One Bank.

According to an article from the Division of Communications Department, the scholarship is provided to those individuals who have made a great impact in their communities. The program began in 2011, and more than $150,000 has been awarded to high school seniors and college pupils nationwide.

Eadie, a freshman and accounting major at EMU, was given the $1,000 award from Charter One as an acknowledgment of Cards from Destiny, a program she started in 2005 after learning a family friend in the military wouldn’t be home for the holidays.

The Any Soldier website allows for any member of the military to go online to make requests for items they want or need while they are overseas and away from home. Soldiers can request personal care items, but they often prefer special letters and cards from home.

When Eadie visited the site for the first time, she only had $20 from babysitting and decided to spend the money buying Christmas cards for soldiers. She then ventured door to door for the next few weeks requesting donations of unused Christmas cards. Eadie gathered almost 600 cards to send to military personnel overseas.

According to the article, in 2006, Eadie sent more than 3,600 cards to troops overseas, in addition to 200 goodie bags to open Christmas morning that were filled with candy, chapstick and hot chocolate. In 2007, more than 7,400 cards were sent, and she nearly doubled that number in 2008, when she sent more than 14,000 cards overseas.

Since 2005, Eadie has sent nearly 60,000 cards overseas to military personnel, and will continue her Cards from Destiny project.