EMU wrestling beats Old Dominion University

After taking an early lead, team earns sixth win of the season, 21-19

With a takedown from Khodor Hoballah, the Eastern Michigan University wrestling team earned its sixth win of the season last Friday against Old Dominion University, 21-19.

EMU coach Derek DelPorto set a milestone with his 100th career victory.

“Reaching 100 wins was a grind, that’s for sure,” DelPorto said. “I know a lot of wrestling coaches who reach their 100th win in shorter time periods than I did, but I am still proud of the stat.”

EMU’s Jared Germaine received his seventh straight victory of the season, earning a 4-2 win over ODU’s Jerome Robinson to give the Eagles a 3-0 lead.

The Eagles took a 9-0 lead over Old Dominion when EMU’s Vincent Pizzuto picked up his first pen of the season in 6:05.

“I think Jared has been good enough to do what he is doing his entire career,” DelPorto said. “A few injuries have gotten in his way, this second semester will be a great determinate as to how Jared has prepared himself for his senior campaign after a disappointing finish to last year’s season he will be looking to wrestle with a chip on his shoulder.”

ODU started to make a run in the 141 lb. weight class by picking up two straight pins— one by ODU’s Chris Mecate on Nicholas Barber in 2:44 and one by ODU’s Alexander Richardson on EMU’s Matthew VanCuren in 1:29.

A 9-2 decision by ODU’s Tristan Warner on EMU’s Brandon Zeerip in the 157 lb. weight class gave a 15-9 lead in the duel.

Eastern would come back to make it 15-12 when Jacob Davis received a 4-1 decision at 165 lbs., but the Monarchs would keep the lead as Billy Curling received a 12-4 major decision over Mike Curby to go up 19-12.

EMU’s Phillip Joseph and Nick Whitenburg earned victories in their respective weight classes to move within a point of ODU.

With the match at stake, Hoballah earned a 7-2 victory in the heavyweight decision.

“It was very exciting the way we won the match and I’m extremely proud of our guys for coming through when our backs were against the wall, I want my team’s mentality to always remain constant, but next event the format is different,” DelPorto said. “This is a tournament so it becomes an endurance test throughout the day, and it is a day that can potentially have our guys competing in 4 or 5 matches. No matter how many matches we wrestle, we want to come out set a fast and physical pace and try and score as many points as possible without getting caught up in winning or losing.”

Looking Ahead:

EMU will take a short break from duels when thy travels to Cleveland, Ohio, Sat. Dec. 14 for the Cleveland State Open.