Barber shop event empowers black males

Last updated: 01/26/14 6:28pm

There’s nothing quite like the aura of a barbershop. The sound of clippers, debates sparking over current issues and countless individuals coming and going are what makes for an ideal barbershop.

But what if there was more intellectual dialogue and heartfelt discussion, along with valuable principles that can be used in everyday life? The BrotherHOOD (Helping Others Obtain Degrees)
“Barber Shop” provides all of these elements and more.

Black Student Union President Brandon Britt and Director of Multicultural Affairs Reginald Barnes started this initiative for males from all walks of life, with intentions to push these same males toward graduation while empowering them along the way.

“The BrotherHOOD Initiative is a program designed to engage and help increase retention and degree completion for males of color at Eastern Michigan University,” Barnes said. “The Barber Shop provides a fun and safe space for guys to be themselves, get a haircut, a bite to eat and honestly discuss issues that affect them.”

Eastern Michigan University transfer freshman Nicholas Brown attended the first Barber Shop discussion of the year on Jan. 23.

“There were topics being discussed that were relevant to our situations, and also what we are going through as males on this campus,” he said.

Barnes intends on making this a staple at EMU’s campus for years to come.

For more information on how to get involved, contact Reginald Barnes at rbarne13@emich.edu. The BrotherHOOD Barbershop Discussion is sponsored by Diversity and Community Involvement and the Provost’s Office.

Published Jan 26, 2014 in Life

Comments